Do we over complicate things?

Saintly Fish

1 minute ago, Captain Sensible said:

🤔 Turbot - dream fish yet to catch 

me too - I didnt say it worked..... 🤪...

I have yet to catch one - lucky enough to fish with a mate who doesn't eat fish and took his home instead! he caught one on a simple ledger!

boat fishing is very simple - all you need to do is put the bait on the bottom.

1 hour ago, mike farrants said:

I have yet to catch one - lucky enough to fish with a mate who doesn't eat fish and took his home instead! he caught one on a simple ledger!

I've only ever caught one... as bycatch when drifting for tope! Took a side of mackerel bounced along the bottom south of the IoW. Which reminds me, even when tope fishing I was using a simple running ledger.

0XjWYZC.jpg

29 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I've only ever caught one... as bycatch when drifting for tope! Took a side of mackerel bounced along the bottom south of the IoW. Which reminds me, even when tope fishing I was using a simple running ledger.

0XjWYZC.jpg

Must have been a decent skipper who put you on the meat that day! 

For thornies, the yarmouth method is a twin hook affair, 30-50lb mono ( I have caught them on single 20lb amnesia before now)

take a 2 ft ish length of said mono, hook each end, fold it in half and push the middle through a large swivel, then back over the other end of the swivel so it locks it all in place, then tie on to rig

14 hours ago, Captain Sensible said:

Turbot - dream fish yet to catch 

We catch a few of them.........

Here is one that the Grandson (Kyle is my regular crew) caught on the Skerries

Turbot.thumb.JPG.7b30ac5a1fba44b19b4cd1b2a18c3add.JPG

We never over complicate rigs on Bluefin, usually a simple single hook running ledger, and add a bit of bling when drifting for Plaice.

In deep water, I often add a small luminous bead, just above the hook.

However, most of my time is spent out on the wrecks with slow jigs and Red Gills.

8 hours ago, GPSguru said:

We catch a few of them.........

Here is one that the Grandson (Kyle is my regular crew) caught on the Skerries

Turbot.thumb.JPG.7b30ac5a1fba44b19b4cd1b2a18c3add.JPG

We never over complicate rigs on Bluefin, usually a simple single hook running ledger, and add a bit of bling when drifting for Plaice.

In deep water, I often add a small luminous bead, just above the hook.

However, most of my time is spent out on the wrecks with slow jigs and Red Gills.

It's easy to see where the importance lays in your photos Ian! 
Or is it a child security issue ? 

20 hours ago, JonC said:

So is that like a wishbone rig? Commonplace for flatties but I never used it for roker( raja clavita for Neil) . Do you get many tangles with it spinning? 

Not really mate, they may even be a bit shorter. I don't think it really matters as the idea seems to be having both baited hooks together on the sea bed.

I don't really see any benefit other than potential double hooking. Have caught all of mine on a single hook rig, as don't usually target skate specifically. But that is the local skate rig and it works.

I see you can get shop made booms for wishbones now.

16 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

It's easy to see where the importance lays in your photos Ian! 
Or is it a child security issue ? 

It is a Kyle thing, at that time he was wearing a brace for 2 years and really didn't like being photographed, but he trusted me to get it right !