Third time lucky...

Third sea trip planned this weekend, last 2 were from Calshot Castle slip.

Got to decide if we again go from Calshot and this time try Bramble bank or launch at Northney Marina and try the Hounds and/or Nab tower area 

Target is to catch more than one fish, ideally something I can eat

Vote now!

Hi Adam - good question.

The best answer I can give is to go to whichever mark you feel most confident. That said, it's often the way that we boat anglers feel confident about trying new marks over known marks that didn't fish well last time.

So, seeing as you asked for votes, I'll vote for the Nab Tower area. Reason being that the range of species is probably wider than the other two marks. I've heard of conger, rays, whiting and pout come out from that general area this season and in years gone by, cod have been caught there too. Bigger, table sized whiting usually turn up on the flat ground to the NW of the Tower (location 1 on the map below) In previous seasons I've done well on the Fingers, just to the east of the tower (location 2). These are general locations, so you'll need to move around a bit to find the fish. If you want something to eat, a big whiting makes a good meal, and they can be caught fairly easily on baited feathers at anchor or on the drift.

9nFdUut.jpg

Bramble Bank will throw up pout, whiting, smaller eels, maybe a ray and occasionally a cod. @Saintly Fish caught his PB cod from that area a few years ago and it's close to Calshot slip, but it's also a busy place to fish. Bramble is so well sheltered that you could fish it on almost any forecast (within reason), so given that the forecast this weekend is so good, I'd be tempted to use the weather to try somewhere less sheltered that you wouldn't normally fish.

The Hounds I know as more of a summer bream and wrasse mark. Not sure what you'll find there at this time of year other than dogfish, which may not be your cup of tea.

Just to add, I'm planning to be out past the Nab on Friday, so look out for a report which will give you an indication of how that area is fishing. Might be of use if you're still deciding where to fish come Friday night.

4 hours ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

I've got a mark on the inner Nab that has been an absolute whiting fest recently with a few in the 2.5lb range,  the odd conger and Ray and always a chance of a Cod. I can PM the numbers if you want,  it's 9 miles from Pompey Harbour entrance so shorter from Langston or Chichester

Yes please

5 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I will possibly be fishing there OR Wesr Lepe bouy on Saturday. 

Only been twice before. First time we randomly selected a few places as it was really about trying the boat out. Caught a couple by calshot slip. Second time we tried along the drop off around stokes bay. Both were very slow so looking for a bit more action this time.

Where is Lepe bouy?

44 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Only been twice before. First time we randomly selected a few places as it was really about trying the boat out. Caught a couple by calshot slip. Second time we tried along the drop off around stokes bay. Both were very slow so looking for a bit more action this time.

Where is Lepe bouy?

It's the red channel bouy north of gurnard point. Turn west into the Solent and it's on the chart about 3rd or 4th marker bouy from calshot. 

F0127EB2-4B5D-4D15-A286-638CF95E31A8.jpeg.4c74c1785c3bb10ce216e549ad52c759.jpegIf you look it up on your plotter you will see better the lay of the sea bed. Go west for about another 15 minutes and you come to west lepe bouy. 

5 hours ago, LostPiker said:

Yes please

As a very general tip for Nab end,  on the big tides stay on the marks inside of the Nab tower excluding Pullar as that runs hard on springs, small tides the outer marks come into play, so Utopia, Spoils, Kelp beds etc there is a lot more to the marks than that but that will generally see you able to fish on any tides without heading out and then finding out you need 5lb to hold bottom

Wimped out of Nab and was planning to fish Bramble and then on to Lepe but didn't end up leaving Bramble. 

Loads of whiting, dog fish and I think bull huss but I don't really know how to tell them apart from dogs. 

Only 1 whiting big enough to eat and I know you experts don't like dogs and small whiting but we had a great day.

Near disaster at the very end when the engine died 50m from the slip and was completely dead. Must be a dodgy ignition connection. Luckily a nice man was also about to recover his boat and towed me up to the slip. New controls needed. Bastard thing started first time on the trailer

5 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Wimped out of Nab and was planning to fish Bramble and then on to Lepe but didn't end up leaving Bramble. 

Loads of whiting, dog fish and I think bull huss but I don't really know how to tell them apart from dogs. 

Only 1 whiting big enough to eat and I know you experts don't like dogs and small whiting but we had a great day.

Near disaster at the very end when the engine died 50m from the slip and was completely dead. Must be a dodgy ignition connection. Luckily a nice man was also about to recover his boat and towed me up to the slip. New controls needed. Bastard thing started first time on the trailer

Well done on the dogs and whiting. Dogs are my favourite (not joking) and whiting are tasty, so you had a good day in my book.

Shame about your engine, but very lucky you had help at hand. Check all your connections and even check the wires for breaks underneath the sheathing if you can. Close call but all's well that ends well.

31 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Well done on the dogs and whiting. Dogs are my favourite (not joking) and whiting are tasty, so you had a good day in my book.

Shame about your engine, but very lucky you had help at hand. Check all your connections and even check the wires for breaks underneath the sheathing if you can. Close call but all's well that ends well.

Going to replace the control box and all the wiring. The wiring isn't pretty but seemed to work, should have known and done it before. 

Problem is the pull to open yamaha control box is £950 compared to £250 for push to open

18 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Sounds like you had a good fun day! 
where abouts on the bramble did you fish? 

Not sure if it has a name, between one of the yellow marker buoys and what is apparently a weather station. 

There were 3 other boats in a line so we copied them!

26 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Not sure if it has a name, between one of the yellow marker buoys and what is apparently a weather station. 

There were 3 other boats in a line so we copied them!

What depth were you in? 
I find south of the brambles in about 50-60ft is most productive.