ford dorset 2711e engine

daio web

Can't say I've had any dealings with that engine variant, although it's old skool Ford diesel, they've stood the test of time pretty well. As the engine was used in agriculture and industrial uses, parts should be readily available, think some parts are in common with fordson super majors...

Usual things really, allow for getting the injectors cleaned/rebuilt and maybe injector pump. Hopefully the cooling side will have been looked after so no cracked heads/blocks or warpage. ( a sniff test can soon find such faults). It's all about hours and maintenance really. I was at an auction a few months back and a liner/piston kit with all gaskets made around £80, think they're less than £200 from agriline...

2 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Can't say I've had any dealings with that engine variant, although it's old skool Ford diesel, they've stood the test of time pretty well. As the engine was used in agriculture and industrial uses, parts should be readily available, think some parts are in common with fordson super majors...

Usual things really, allow for getting the injectors cleaned/rebuilt and maybe injector pump. Hopefully the cooling side will have been looked after so no cracked heads/blocks or warpage. ( a sniff test can soon find such faults). It's all about hours and maintenance really. I was at an auction a few months back and a liner/piston kit with all gaskets made around £80, think they're less than £200 from agriline...

thanks butt yeah its all working just wondered  if there was any common faults thanks for getting back to me 

No, I think age and poor maintenance are the only real faults..... I stand corrected from my earlier statement, this variant doesn't have liners, it's a direct bore into the block.... I would still be rempted to get the pump and injectors rebuilt, these parts must be getting rarer now

13 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I'm sure he will be along soon. Even @Geoffmight have a nugget of info? He's older than the hills so chances are he helped design it or something. 

Sadly not Neil. that engine is a bit too modern for me - now the old petrol 1172cc side valve car engine is of course another matter!  Sorry dw, I have no info, but Zook is your best bet anyway and Neil's links are interesting. It would be nice to see some pics of your boat and engine. Geoff.

5 hours ago, Geoff said:

Sadly not Neil. that engine is a bit too modern for me - now the old petrol 1172cc side valve car engine is of course another matter!  Sorry dw, I have no info, but Zook is your best bet anyway and Neil's links are interesting. It would be nice to see some pics of your boat and engine. Geoff.

thanks geoff i have had loads of info  as soon as my son comes back down i will get him to show me how to put pics up ok mate thanks for getting back to me  the boat is a colvic seaworker 27 ft powered by a a ford 80 hp dorset engine  shes a good boat  

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

@mike farrants, isn't it a shame how easily your allies turn, for the cost of a cheap gag at your expense!! 

He said he didn't mind, and preferred gags about his boat to other stuff we might rib him about... so there! 😛

@daio web - just to fill you in on this long tedious joke....

i have a slow boat (fact - Colvic 20 witha Buhk DV20) 6knots max -  but i catch all the fish - the others must be jealous of my catch rate and so therefore take the pi55 out of my lack of speed = 

turns out they're too busy going so fast they either miss the fish on their finders or simply cant afford fuel to go out that often 🤣

(but i love the attention really!)

29 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

@mike farrants, isn't it a shame how easily your allies turn, for the cost of a cheap gag at your expense!! 

it is - i know where i stand with you SF - but andy has really disappointed me today, i thought he had my back.... next thing he'll be supporting pompey