bristol channel weather

daio web

1 minute ago, JonC said:

The biggest challenge for me when it’s windy is manoeuvring out of my berth, especially when the tide is up because I catch to much wind compared to the small amount of hull in the water. 

But surely the weight counteracts that?

4 minutes ago, JonC said:

Even my weight doesn’t prevent me getting blown down the aisle 

I was thinking more of the weight of the boat. Your weight would be marginal. 
Being a semi D boat like mine I'd think you sit deeper in the water, so not as prone to the wind as say a Merry Fisher. 

I don't like getting thrown about at anchor (or bouncing off the cabin ceiling while underway) so wouldn't bother in anything over 17/18mph

Though as jonc says, that is doable if wind is directly with the tide, but you still have to get out there and back in

Nice day tomorrow, throw a sickie

9 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

I don't like getting thrown about at anchor (or bouncing off the cabin ceiling while underway) so wouldn't bother in anything over 17/18mph

Though as jonc says, that is doable if wind is directly with the tide, but you still have to get out there and back in

Nice day tomorrow, throw a sickie

ok mate thanks for getting back all the best for today weather looks good look forward to some pics later have a good one bud 

13 hours ago, daio web said:

just watched the welsh news weather and its even worse now   well theres always next weekend then the boat comes out of the water for a repair thanks guys for getting back to me tight lines

There's always another day. Nothing worse that being thrown around out there.

for me it all depends on wind direction - weymouth bay is sheltered from the W and SW if you stay close in - but no good in an easterly. 

if its 20mph or more i wont go - 15mph and off the land fine, 15mph and blowing into the bay no-no

ender 10mph any direction i'll go.

Swell and tides also an impact - i went out once in a light to no wind yet there was a heavy ground swell running onto the bay - so we anchored inside portland harbour - lovely flat calm day - only to be met with the same swell later on the way back across the bay -  would have been very uncomfortable at anchor in the Bay

Windy App will show you wind, swell and chop!