Friday night trip Teignmouth

thejollysinker

Well done Gary on attempting and completing the "over nighter". I've fished into the dark, and gone out in the dark, but never anchored all night. 
Being in the dark on the boat is quite unnerving. Well done for catching fish and getting over the nerves. Next time you'll be more relaxed (but always alert)! 
Thanks for sharing your adventure! 

12 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well done Gary on attempting and completing the "over nighter". I've fished into the dark, and gone out in the dark, but never anchored all night. 
Being in the dark on the boat is quite unnerving. Well done for catching fish and getting over the nerves. Next time you'll be more relaxed (but always alert)! 
Thanks for sharing your adventure! 

cheers mate... high alert alright, I couldn't relax to any great extent but it was a great experience 🙂

4 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Have you ever navigated to or from a mark in the dark? That's an experience  !!

No, and I wouldn't want to, especially near my neck of the woods... bloody random buoys everywhere and with my limited/past experience with 'random buoys' it's a no from me 🤐

If I was going to do that I'd let the student do it and then blame them when it all goes tits up 🤣

3 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

No, and I wouldn't want to, especially near my neck of the woods... bloody random buoys everywhere and with my limited/past experience with 'random buoys' it's a no from me 🤐

If I was going to do that I'd let the student do it and then blame them when it all goes tits up 🤣

I'm guessing that all areas are the same (but happy to be corrected (this time only)), the potters are only allowed to drop pots out side of the main channels. So, if you go out in the day time and lay a track on your plotter, as long as it's in the channel you'll be safe as houses following the same exact route back in the dark. 
Just turn all lights off around you, turn the plotter display down to low and then let your eyes adjust to the dark. First couple of times it's quite un nerving , but gets a bit easier the more you do it. 

29 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I'm guessing that all areas are the same (but happy to be corrected (this time only)), the potters are only allowed to drop pots out side of the main channels. So, if you go out in the day time and lay a track on your plotter, as long as it's in the channel you'll be safe as houses following the same exact route back in the dark. 
Just turn all lights off around you, turn the plotter display down to low and then let your eyes adjust to the dark. First couple of times it's quite un nerving , but gets a bit easier the more you do it. 

mate, some of the buoys out there are not lobster or crab pots.... they've been there forever and a day.... anyway, that's good advice I'd never have thought of (I don't normally do forward planning, ask SWMBO 🤣)  

I did make a T bar arrangement  to dump the anchor in an emergency which is something I should have done from the word go.

They're growing 🤣

Well done! Quite an adventure, but you got out and back safely, and you caught some fish. Result! 👍

Night time navigation can be tricky but as @Saintly Fish says, following your track on your plotter is a good way to stay out of trouble. Still doesn't account for drifting hazards or abandoned buoys though, so nice and slowly does it.

9 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Well done! Quite an adventure, but you got out and back safely, and you caught some fish. Result! 👍

Night time navigation can be tricky but as @Saintly Fish says, following your track on your plotter is a good way to stay out of trouble. Still doesn't account for drifting hazards or abandoned buoys though, so nice and slowly does it.

cheers Andy and yes, out, caught fish, back in safely is a result ☺️

Nice and slow is good advice and I always have my safety knife to hand to get cutting if needed...in the dark, God forbid!