Spoils, 19th Sept

Andy135

A great day out was had yesterday, and once I'd spent the first couple of hours licking clean the windows, I had enough energy left in my jaw to tell Andy how his fishing trip should go. 
So, as already mentioned we turned the boat and fished the flood. I decided to catch just a couple of fish (literally a couple), but I was busy instructing the other tu on how it's done. 

First to my rod was a nice little spotted ray.
F6A9AD0E-D1E5-4D61-8F3D-0430E500A037.jpeg.9f1bab0ccf7f8c680033c2dbce68ba62.jpeg

Then a feisty hound.

15D886A8-B47B-472D-B42A-B5106AD0D633.jpeg.140660fd2c021c5241c90dfc75fb5fe4.jpeg

That was enough for me. Leo decided to up the game and (landed) caught a 12lb Bull Huss. This thing really gave him a work out, and a decent smile that lasted the rest of the afternoon. And didn't we know it 🤣

13A9C9C9-0443-413F-A90D-3AC7BB91AA0C.jpeg.fd06568e2a5d396fe422fd8e0dd9b327.jpeg

He also had a nice strap conger..

AF809A21-1E9F-46E4-9E18-335C70A66532.jpeg.97b17ce96ab0e3d65116d6e41b81ee6c.jpeg

and enjoyed himself whilst playing with the mackerel, one of which was aptly named Banana once  rigor mortis had set in. 
Thanks again to Andy for a cracking day out, and well dangled. It's not true what they say about him!! 

87DFA09C-7C40-4353-AB03-56C0C76D5B04.jpeg

0ACD44B8-D8DC-45C5-89D1-F4D1952D2257.jpeg

An excellent manoeuvre to dock, not so easy in a crowded harbour, well done.

Looks like you had a really good mix of species, and all 'net worthy', the highlight for me would have been the Huss. Any double Huss is a real handful, and they fight real dirty, so top marks to Leo. Usually when you get them on the boat, they crap all over you !

Why are Mack not so common off Portsmouth ? On the Skerries, we had 60 ish (I didn't count). Kyle spent an hour catching them singly on my 40g Lure Game rod, using a 20g green stinger casting jig. I cleaned the boat tonight, it takes feck'in hours to get rid of the mack scales and shit.

Did you take that spider home for the pot ?  There looks to be a good enough amount of meat on those legs. They smell absolutely lush as you boil them up.

Edited by GPSguru

Yes, the crab took a hot bath. Delicious with pasta in a light garlic & chilli dressing.

As for the mackerel, they just seem to be more sporadic each year. Finding a large shoal is getting rarer - instead it's a case of picking them up in ones and twos wherever you can find them.

Leo's huss was definitely fish of the trip and he did well to play it to the net.

4 hours ago, Andy135 said:

There was just enough for a meal for two in the legs, but I hardly got any from the body. Mostly a goopy mess in there.

Yes, pretty much all the meat is in the legs. I expect that you immediately noticed that the meat is a very sweet savoury taste, but for me the cooking smell takes some beating. 

TBH, I now prefer spider for eating, although browns are way more common for eating. Spider are regarded as a bycatch and often thrown back. Most of our spiders caught here end up going the France.