Out tomorrow :)

Odyssey

52 minutes ago, JDP said:

I had a zodiac 550 pro which was the most fun and capable sized boat for its size Ive ever owned. I looked forward to bad sea conditions when I owned it. My bigger heavier more powerful boat before it was only managing 50-100hrs of use due to our bar crossing but went to 500hrs + per year with the rib.

The 550pro is only a medium Vee (that is why they can get away with using 115 or less on them), but a very capable boat.

The Ribcraft 585 with it's very deep Vee is far more capable than I ever want to experience, but as with all deep Vee's it needs lots of HP, however, I am super happy with the performance and pretty much always feel safe.

I am also careful of braid cuts, but IIRC the 550 pro was PVC and hypalon is a lot more tolerant.

Hooks are not a big issue as they tend to just slide across the hypalon, provided the tube pressure is good.

I pretty much have to top up the tubes (2 psi pressure) before every trip as the boat is fitted with over pressure valves on every chamber, so as the day warms up, air comes out, but none goes back in until I do it with the electric pump. As I tend to leave at first light, it is the coldest time and therefore the tubes are at their lowest pressure.

40 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

The 550pro is only a medium Vee (that is why they can get away with using 115 or less on them), but a very capable boat.

The Ribcraft 585 with it's very deep Vee is far more capable than I ever want to experience, but as with all deep Vee's it needs lots of HP, however, I am super happy with the performance and pretty much always feel safe.

I am also careful of braid cuts, but IIRC the 550 pro was PVC and hypalon is a lot more tolerant.

Hooks are not a big issue as they tend to just slide across the hypalon, provided the tube pressure is good.

I pretty much have to top up the tubes (2 psi pressure) before every trip as the boat is fitted with over pressure valves on every chamber, so as the day warms up, air comes out, but none goes back in until I do it with the electric pump. As I tend to leave at first light, it is the coldest time and therefore the tubes are at their lowest pressure.

So what degree are the ribcrafts ? unfortunately they aren't available over here but most other brands are. The gemini 770 I used to skipper for a friend with scuba tours was extremely wet so swapped out to a naiad with twin 250's but I have to say the smaller ones are far more fun. My 550 was the pro tour which was narrower than the pro open and had a 25.5 degree hull. My daughter has a 500 pro for spearing etc when she's not skippering the bigger charter boats, both fitted in our standard sized garage doors .

14 hours ago, JDP said:

Virtually the same then, the zodiac had 25.5 at the transom.

Yes, very similar, however, the 550 pro is not regarded highly here in the UK as the build quality was not good.

Before I ordered the Ribcraft I was seriously considering a 550 pro open in a speck similar to that displayed at the 2018 French boat show.

In the Uk (oz might be different) the boat is assembled at the dealership to the customer spec, and this is where my concerns over standards of 'fit and finish' started. I knew of a couple of boats that had serious issues with leaking lockers and seat and consols that were showing signs of fixing damage.

A step or two up the ladder plus a f'off big hole in my bank account, and I was into factory custom built with Ribcraft, who had a legendary reputation for build strength and finish. Also, the boat's performance credentials were well documented, having been a design that has been with us since the late 80's.

So, I almost had a 550, but ended up with a 585 Ribcraft ..............