Saturday 12th Nov - weymouth

mike farrants

Been ages since we last went out on the boat and although the conditions would be hit or miss (15mph straight into the bay) we decided to have a short session squidding. 

plan was to meet at lunchtime and do a couple of hours on Tims boat - i got down the marina a couple of hours early to do some maintenance on pugwash - sealant mainly as she's rather damp inside. i found there was rain water coming in around the samson post up front - i have a wooden post runs from the bottom of the bow up through the foredeck and that's what i attach the anchor and fwd painter to. The sealant around it was a bit brittle and crumbly so for now i have patched it up with silicone = but what should i use to do it properly? needs to be flexible and weather proof. 

Come midday we motored out of the marina and having not used sea dog for about 6 weeks his steering was very heavy - and took a while to free up - could this be just weed/growth on the rudder (its out of sight), or a bigger problem with the steering cables? or Boss? any thoughts?

on to the fishing - we motored out into a heavy sea,  and headed for portlands north entrance - set up a drift from outside in - we all dropped 3 squid jigs down, Tim had 2 rods, his mrs one and me one, he proceeded to bang in a couple of squid each drift - over a couple of hours I managed to land one, lost one, and pulled in a lone tenticle, his mrs cought none, but was convinced she lost one -but .... he bagged 10. same gear same technique just how it goes sometimes!

some decent sized ones too

image.png.b07d2dc5aba2d97a6559aaa3dae754ae.png

i had the small one for tea - the rest went into my bait freezer.

image.png.35907302512d1b2a4da88ad037004ab3.png 

image.png.d86175b873687653075b42bbdf10cd83.png

hoping for a let up in the weather soon!

15 minutes ago, JonC said:

These are not fish, they are cephalopods so they don’t count as fishing. 

I do beg your pardon - but i thought this was a..... "recreational boat fishing & boat owning forums"

these were caught on a boat..... 

and this is a catch report folder. 

i bet if they were served with a pot noodle you'd be happy....... 🤣

If steering is stiff check the steering cable, it can sieze up and if steering is lost it’s not a great feeling…. 

As for the squidding, good work 🙂 Nice to see someone out and catching, it’s been too quiet on here….