Not this time son...

Saintly Fish

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

Well dangled the pair of you. And thanks for the invite, but sadly it wasn't to be for me this time.

That whiting almost looks big enough to eat. Tasty! 👍

That's ok. Hopefully the implants took root as planned??

water temperature doesn't have much to do with Cod movements.... There's reports every year of Cod being caught from Chesil as early as August and quite prolific catches happen in Sep and Oct and the water temperature can't be that different from The Solent.

From what I've read in the distant past, the best chances of catching a 'lunker' Cod in or around The Solent happen in late Dec through Jan with 10/0 (at least) pennel rigs loaded with as many squid as you can get on the hooks.... but you're too young too have read that shit in Sea Angler whereas I on the other hand.... 😅

I did catch a 17lb'er from the shore at Hengistbury Head in Jan one year (over 30 years ago) on a whole squid.... the big girls are there.

I also met a bloke when I bought a massive pair of oars from him around the same time who used to be a commercial and get this, he caught a 70lb Cod in his nets off Hengistbury seafront by the Coastguard lookout during the hurricane of '87. He said he couldn't get to his nets for 3 days or so and true to my word , he showed us a photo with this behemoth that was nearly as long as he was tall (he was short...), I could not believe my eyes, it was huge!

Looks like you had a nice day out to take advantage of the break in the weather and your littl'un looks like he was enjoying it 👌  big Cod on the next trip eh? 🙂

14 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

water temperature doesn't have much to do with Cod movements.... There's reports every year of Cod being caught from Chesil as early as August and quite prolific catches happen in Sep and Oct and the water temperature can't be that different from The Solent.

From what I've read in the distant past, the best chances of catching a 'lunker' Cod in or around The Solent happen in late Dec through Jan with 10/0 (at least) pennel rigs loaded with as many squid as you can get on the hooks.... but you're too young too have read that shit in Sea Angler whereas I on the other hand.... 😅

I did catch a 17lb'er from the shore at Hengistbury Head in Jan one year (over 30 years ago) on a whole squid.... the big girls are there.

I also met a bloke when I bought a massive pair of oars from him around the same time who used to be a commercial and get this, he caught a 70lb Cod in his nets off Hengistbury seafront by the Coastguard lookout during the hurricane of '87. He said he couldn't get to his nets for 3 days or so and true to my word , he showed us a photo with this behemoth that was nearly as long as he was tall (he was short...), I could not believe my eyes, it was huge!

Looks like you had a nice day out to take advantage of the break in the weather and your littl'un looks like he was enjoying it 👌  big Cod on the next trip eh? 🙂

Yep big cod is defo the quarry. My biggest is 15lb from roughly the area we fished yesterday and around the same time of year. A friend of mine consistently catches 3-4 codling in September . He always seems to be in the right place at the right time, but can't get another for the rest of the winter. He went out yesterday and caught just 2 dog fish in 6 hours. It's weird how it goes sometimes. LSt winter Leo and I caught 2 both in January. In the Solent that's pretty unheard of. 

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

A friend of mine consistently catches 3-4 codling in September . He always seems to be in the right place at the right time

it's such a big learning curve and unless you're 'in with the right crowd', a lot of the time you are just learning from experience, which is also fun but not necessarily productive.

The other big factor with recreational fishing from boat or shore is most of us can only 'go' when we have the opportunity and not necessarily when it's the best time to go. 

7 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

LSt winter Leo and I caught 2 both in January. In the Solent that's pretty unheard of. 

well good for you, it's nice when you get something right and do something that's different from the rest of the crowd 👍