anchor winch

good morning guys when i went out last week my anchor winch failed .so i was wondering whitch one you think is best at the moment  there is a horizontal one on there but i see that the motors are bigger on the vertical ones space is not a problem for the rope to fall our fit  the horizontal ones look a lot more compact with all the cogs and stuff in there the motor cant be that big so probaly not strong enough any sugestions please many thanks

1 hour ago, daio web said:

good morning guys when i went out last week my anchor winch failed .so i was wondering whitch one you think is best at the moment  there is a horizontal one on there but i see that the motors are bigger on the vertical ones space is not a problem for the rope to fall our fit  the horizontal ones look a lot more compact with all the cogs and stuff in there the motor cant be that big so probaly not strong enough any sugestions please many thanks

Do you need to replace Dave, maybe a service kit and some tlc of your existing one would be better provided the winch is man enough? Or is this an opportunity to upgrade? 

8 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Do you need to replace Dave, maybe a service kit and some tlc of your existing one would be better provided the winch is man enough? Or is this an opportunity to upgrade? 

hi neil thanks for the reply the motor has just started going real slow i think it one of the south pacifics and parts are hard to find i will have a look at it on the weekend and take it off to see what i can do on a bench in the shed

21 minutes ago, daio web said:

hi neil thanks for the reply the motor has just started going real slow i think it one of the south pacifics and parts are hard to find i will have a look at it on the weekend and take it off to see what i can do on a bench in the shed

Hmmmn I've never heard of a South Pacific. 
If you need to replace I can recommend Lofrans. I have a 1000 size on my boat and it's real powerful! 

@daio web Ive just lifted this from a post on another boating forum. Looks like you may have to replace...

Hi i have a South Pacific windlass which has developed a fault and is still under warranty. I have contacted South Pacific who are based in Australia who then gave me two contact addresses for their technical support in the U.K after telling me that the postage charge to Australia would be expensive. When i contacted these supposedly technical support teams they told me that they were not qualified to repair my windlass they were only distributors for South Pacific. After that failed i got back to South Pacific who then told me to go back to the original supplier who were Essex Boatyard has the windlass was supplied with the boat. They told me the same thing that they only supply the windlass and they do not repair them, failed again i then got backed to South Pacific to explain the failed situation that i was in. When i had a reply off South Pacific they told me that i had to send my windlass to Taiwan for repair i had a price for postage it was £206 with insurance for cover up to £500 for one way so i should expect the same price for the return journey. My experience with South Pacific was that they were not very helpful they have no technical support in the U.K, after i done every thing that they proposed they kept on moving the goalposts to prevent me from having the windlass repaired in the U.K although they carry a 3 year warranty after the first 12 months the supplier will wash their hands with you and tell you to send it to Taiwan (very expensive) so if there is anybody wanting to buy a windlass make sure it is made Europe and that they have a repair centre either in the U.K or Europe not the other side of the world where these idiots want you to send it. After my experience with South Pacific i would not entertain them they are very awkward people to deal with you know the saying buy cheap buy twice because buy the time you pay for postage it will nearly equal the price of a new windlass perhaps that is what South Pacific aims for you to buy a new windlass and then they do'nt have to repair the faulty windlass under warrenty. So best of luck getting you spare part.

57 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

@daio web Ive just lifted this from a post on another boating forum. Looks like you may have to replace...

Hi i have a South Pacific windlass which has developed a fault and is still under warranty. I have contacted South Pacific who are based in Australia who then gave me two contact addresses for their technical support in the U.K after telling me that the postage charge to Australia would be expensive. When i contacted these supposedly technical support teams they told me that they were not qualified to repair my windlass they were only distributors for South Pacific. After that failed i got back to South Pacific who then told me to go back to the original supplier who were Essex Boatyard has the windlass was supplied with the boat. They told me the same thing that they only supply the windlass and they do not repair them, failed again i then got backed to South Pacific to explain the failed situation that i was in. When i had a reply off South Pacific they told me that i had to send my windlass to Taiwan for repair i had a price for postage it was £206 with insurance for cover up to £500 for one way so i should expect the same price for the return journey. My experience with South Pacific was that they were not very helpful they have no technical support in the U.K, after i done every thing that they proposed they kept on moving the goalposts to prevent me from having the windlass repaired in the U.K although they carry a 3 year warranty after the first 12 months the supplier will wash their hands with you and tell you to send it to Taiwan (very expensive) so if there is anybody wanting to buy a windlass make sure it is made Europe and that they have a repair centre either in the U.K or Europe not the other side of the world where these idiots want you to send it. After my experience with South Pacific i would not entertain them they are very awkward people to deal with you know the saying buy cheap buy twice because buy the time you pay for postage it will nearly equal the price of a new windlass perhaps that is what South Pacific aims for you to buy a new windlass and then they do'nt have to repair the faulty windlass under warrenty. So best of luck getting you spare part.

thanks neil great after service there looks like it could be a new one santas comeing next week haha lol

8 hours ago, JonC said:

I fitted a lewmar pro fish horizontal. It has a free fall function where the gypsy disengages to drop the anchor. 
The South Pacific winches were fitted to a lot of Arvors and Quicksilvers, I’ve read a lot of negative comments about them.

8 hours ago, JonC said:

I fitted a lewmar pro fish horizontal. It has a free fall function where the gypsy disengages to drop the anchor. 
The South Pacific winches were fitted to a lot of Arvors and Quicksilvers, I’ve read a lot of negative comments about them.

thanks bud it looks like time for a new one whats do you think would be best suited there is plenty of room up under the bow and on top 30 foot boat neil said the lofrans are good 

I’ve got a lewmar, it’s mounted midships so no need to get up on the bow. Works well, spares are easy to come by, plenty of power in it. 

I’ve got the vertical mount, I had a horizontal mount on my old boat as you need less drop with those. 

They ain’t cheap but will last. 

I’ve attached a pic, you can use the gypsy to haul rope or or the windlass on tope to haul rope.

E61065EE-4810-4870-82B8-3CC2CD095D72.jpeg

Edited by Odyssey

23 hours ago, daio web said:

If it has started going slowly you may have a problem with poor connections rather than the winch itself being faulty. Worth cleaning the connections and measuring the voltage when it is working.

23 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Your contract is with the supplier not the maker. If it is still under warranty it is the responsibility of the supplier to honour the warranty not the maker.

Likewise I had never heard of them over here in Australia until now, looking them up they seem to be around d the $300-$400 and from what I can see sold through eBay. At the price you mention 500 quid you could easily buy two new winches. Personally I wouldn't look at an eBay winch built in Taiwan. In saying that I saw two boats burn out far higher priced winches on my recent trip away simply because the owners of the boats didn't read how to use them. Often with these winches you need to drive the boat forward and not pull the boat forward to the anchor on the winch which can set the anchor harder. We also use anchors with these that easily pull out backward once you've motored just forward of the anchor.

The Lone Star drum winch on my boat is over 10yrs old, had the same on my last three boats and never had an issue with any of them.

Where did you purchase the South Pacific from ?

15 hours ago, JonC said:

Have you noticed much wear on your topsides from the chain running over it? 

image.thumb.jpeg.5ae1300885539369a19bd53d40648363.jpeg

I’ve got sacrificial boards to protect the gelcoat. Been down for years and still ok. Obviously don’t look as nice as gel cuts but given a load of chain rattling on them I’d rather looking a bit naff instead of knocking out chunks of gel coat 

3 hours ago, JonC said:

The long post that Neil pasted in was lifted from another site, the OPs windlass is old from what I can make out. 
Them drum winch things don’t seem to be a thing here, can they handle chain as well? Most of us have at least a boat length of 6 or 8mm chain on the anchor.

When I first moved out here the older styles which are commonly used back home were very common, now you tend to only see the drum style. They are pretty easy, no tangles and no having to touch any part of the anchor system apart from an up or down switch. The Lone Star has enough power to pull most boats up a beach if needed but not what they are designed for obviously.

My lone star has 7m of stainless chain and around 110m 1500kg hi-spec braid, which is good for shallower water. I could double the anchor line on the drum but that stuff is pretty expensive, so 100m is enough!!! Out in the deep stuff I take a seperate tub with 250m of cheaper braid rope and use the old fashioned alderney rig to pull the anchor.

The alderney principle where you drive up on the anchor is pretty much the way to pull any anchor with and electric winch in my opinion but some people just push the button and drag the boat against tide, wind and waves which puts a heap of pressure on the gears, especially on the ones built with lower end gearing etc. This link shows the size boats and anchors they can be used on, not just small boats. https://www.lonestarmarine.com.au/shop/rope-chain-kits/1000-rc-kit/

Edited by JDP

3 hours ago, JonC said:

I just looked at the dimensions of one of these savwinch things, big old lumps, where do you mount them? Wouldn’t fit in the average anchor locker. 

Not sure on that brand and for what sized boat you were looking at. This is mine in the front hatch of my 14.6ft centre console. The chain and what looks like black rope is actually chain cover, the braid rope is beneath the chain and is just 4mm thick for 1500kg load rating. The anchor is a sarca http://www.anchorright.com.au/products/sarca-anchors/

06CA8D8B-88D8-4DA5-A464-4F6D6827139A.jpeg.c527ed136e9ad9f4d553f3f0e67b9b47.jpeg

CBDDF9DB-1EDD-4045-B2D9-A0BEAD47B2E3.jpeg.2166260d510136e512f5aa876a21d928.jpeg

Edited by JDP

Here's another test with various anchors. What I like about the sarca is that I'm able to drop to very light anchors and use the same anchor for sand, mud, gravel and reef.  What style of anchor are you using, is it for a muddy or sandy bottom in the channel. When I do those remote offshore trips there's a possibility I might have to anchor in the lee of an island during a cyclone. Having an anchor system where I can run almost all the anchor line out in around 10m of water gives an extremely good chance of holding, hence why these are so popular here. I do tend to carry a second anchor setup on those remote trips as backup.

16 hours ago, JonC said:

That’s a strange way to do the test, why wouldn’t they try to replicate the angle that an anchor would get pulled at, all the anchors would behave differently at a relevant angle to their design. 

Not really, it's the chains job to keep the angle low, a high angle on and anchor chain would indicate wrong scope, not enough chain or not enough weight to the chain. 
The angle of the pull in the videos should be what most peoples anchor lines are pulling at on the sea floor. 

754861044_ScreenShot2022-12-20at12_50_56pm.png.43c10231fc2480d2e370e2649919ae38.png

1429707633_ScreenShot2022-12-20at12_45_44pm.png.71a3e4d861caf3cd108288ba42f1a43e.png

5 hours ago, JonC said:

Nice pictures but it’s still flawed. If you’ve got 6m of chain and you’re putting as much  force as shown in the video, which we measure in kilonewtons in this hemisphere then the chains mass is going to be negated in the water so the angle is relevant. Think about it, 6mm chain has a mass of about .75kg per meter a total of maybe 5-10kg of chain depending on how much you have, so when a force of 10 kilonewtons is put against it the chain will not just sit on the bottom like the pictures optimistically depict. 
Are the pictures published by the manufacturer of the Hurricane anchor? It looks like a sales pitch to me with very little science to it. 

The picture were just random pic's from a choice of dozens much the same, chose these simply because of the simplicity of anchoring.

There are videos of testing these anchors from boats but the trouble is you are only going from the skippers word. Didn't think it was really that big a deal, these anchors are sold because of the reputation people spread after using them. Its been so long since Ive used any other style that it must be around 20+ yrs now. Im always up to try something new if the cost and reviews warrant it. Ive seen a few  anchors used by larger yachts in cyclone parts of the country that get good reeves but unfortunately they don't make small ones that would work with the bowsprit of most trailer boats. I'd try a Rocna or Manson supreme if the size and price was ok.

What style do you use ? Does it always hold on all bottoms and what sort of scope do you need in strong channel current. 

On 12/16/2022 at 5:29 PM, Saintly Fish said:

Hmmmn I've never heard of a South Pacific. 
If you need to replace I can recommend Lofrans. I have a 1000 size on my boat and it's real powerful! 

well santas a good boy this year he is fetching my new lofrans windlass early  thanks santa  should be here tomorrow our thursday

2 hours ago, daio web said:

i went for the x1 700 watt motor just got to do the install now got to move the samson post so i can centre it  i think my power cables up yo it and switch wires should be fine

Is the 700 going to be powerful enough for your size boat.? Personally I'd have got the 1000. Mind you looking at their product selection tool on the web site, it looks like they don't do the 1000 anymore. Not for my chain and rope size anyway. 
Did you use the selection tool?