How many fly fishers are there amongst us?

Andy135

Sorry if my post was difficult to de-cipher, but I type as I think and keep it as abbreviated as possible.  The info in the post is what I've learned over MANY years, so you're lucky to get it!  These patterns will work in the West Country, Dorset, Hampshire and South, Southwest and West of Ireland, without getting into the usual fluff chucking obsession with carrying a zillion flies. You only need to check out the huge vests that carry mutiple extra-large fly boxes.  These patterns, and variations therof are aimed to simplify fly tackle and catch fish.  I carry less than 30 flies, a spare spool (intermediate line with floater as main), pliers/nips, spare leaders (I use salmon poly leaders as they turn over easily)  and a spool of tippet (10-15lb flurocarbon).  If it's calm and the water is crystal clear I'll use a transparent inter line (no wake) so as not to spook fish.  Don't be scared to try it co's people like me are living proof that a crap fly caster can still catch fish!

Try using an 8/9 weight rod and a disc drag 10 reel, giving plenty of backing line that you need.  Same outfit is great for pike, salmon or carp on the fly.  A lot of old school fly fishers say you don't need a drag, just spool edge braking, but once a big pollack takes off and the reel handle smashes into your thumb = much pain and break off, you'll wish you got a good drag.  Tackle doesn't need to break the bank, with freshwater rods and reels fit for purpose IF you wash it all after every use.  Reels are a con.  You don't need the latest style, cut from billet, tarpon reel.  Go for plastic, so long as the drag is good.  Saying that I have a saltwater sealed, billet aluminium reel that's gorgeous. I reviewed it for a friend and when he told me (after testing it) that it was €30 from China I was gobsmacked.  Give it a go, the first jumping, tailwalking garfish, or backing stripping mullet you catch will have you hooked!

I have a 9 weight and plastic reel for pike and salt. I just need to find the time (and weather) to get out and use it properly.

Mind you, when I did use it more frequently, back in the day, I found that even a small pike goes well on fly gear 👍

Yes i'm a fly fisherman,Salmon,Seatrout and Trout,although the Salmon and Seatrout are not around like they used to be.

Pre- Covid i was lucky enough to guide and host fly fishing trips to Patagonia and the States for a few years but the future for that is pretty uncertain at the moment.

Also fly fish for Bass and Pollock from my boat and Pollock on the fly certainly put a bend in the rod.

As for methods etc,Sidfish has that pretty well covered.

2 hours ago, pete.g said:

Yes i'm a fly fisherman,Salmon,Seatrout and Trout,although the Salmon and Seatrout are not around like they used to be.

Pre- Covid i was lucky enough to guide and host fly fishing trips to Patagonia and the States for a few years but the future for that is pretty uncertain at the moment.

Also fly fish for Bass and Pollock from my boat and Pollock on the fly certainly put a bend in the rod.

As for methods etc,Sidfish has that pretty well covered.

Welcome Pete, sounds like you've had a varied and extensive fishing career then! As @Saintly Fish says, go ahead and post up an intro, and share some pics of your boat on the "Show us yer Boat" thread. We do love a good boat pic here 👍

Just now, JonC said:

This is cyber bullying by the way. 

No, it's actually holding you up as the lowest common denominator, so that others can feel confident that they possess the skills to give it a try. You're a hero Jon, you just don't know it 😉

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Has anyone successfully targeted flatfish on the fly? Maybe a weighted shrimp fly or worm-like lure could work?

Err No .......... we use a 2.5"  flounder spoon and gently row up river along the edge of the sandbanks 👍 .......... usually never bother until we have had the first ground frost.