lever drags

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Slight tangent towards FS reels; I am hugely impressed with my shimano exage 4000 and how smooth the drag is. It hasn't let me down as yet and has coped well with pollock heading back to snags. I also have a Finn Nor offshore FS (6500 I think) which has an even stronger drag set up but not used it for anything other than general bottom fishing yet, but will be used for tope soon enough 🫰

Shimano are good for FS reels - I used their Exsence 2500 and Sustain 4000 for lure fishing for bass and they are still silky smooth after 8+ seasons of use.

However I found myself using the Van Staal 150 exclusively on the boat. It's a thing of beauty in my view #tackletart

e08CSf9.png

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

When did you catch a bass?

Last season, when I took @Davemc bream fishing in Sandown Bay. I was using a spinning rod and that Van Staal with a bream rig and a bass took off with one of the squid strips.

xg8P3wg.jpg

9 minutes ago, Malc said:

I first heard about these being used by the nut jobs who go skishing. They are lovely though. 😍 

Yeah, there's no way I'd take it skishing! Too lovely to risk it. But they are good in the surf. @Davemc and I took our Van Staals to Jersey for a few days luring for bass (I blanked before @JonC asks a pointed question...), and we used them in big surf conditions in our waders up to our waists. They never missed a beat and only needed a quick rinse off.