boat /fishing meet

Solent Fishing meet  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The weekend of the boat meet also happens to be the same date as the round the island race. I recommend fishing marks are kept to the mid to north of the solent. Here is a link for info on the racing. 

http://www.roundtheisland.org.uk/web/code/php/main_c.php?map=rir21b&ui=rir5&style=std&override=&section=competitors&page=starttimes

13 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

The weekend of the boat meet also happens to be the same date as the round the island race. I recommend fishing marks are kept to the mid to north of the solent. Here is a link for info on the racing. 

http://www.roundtheisland.org.uk/web/code/php/main_c.php?map=rir21b&ui=rir5&style=std&override=&section=competitors&page=starttimes

And also bear in mind that there will likely be lots of spectator craft on the water too following those that are racing, which will make for a very busy day on the water (more so than the Solent usually is). Keep a sharp watch and don't assume that everyone will know/see that you're anchored.

That said, we'll have a great vantage point to watch the race. 👍

#stayalertstaysafe

To build on my post above, according to the race instructions the start/finish marshalling areas are north of Cowes/South of Bramble Bank. It will be thick with sailboats in these areas, probably throughout the day. Recommend the Outlaws avoid these areas as the potential for WAFI clusterfuckery is high.

Cr696pn.jpg

http://www.roundtheisland.org.uk/web/pubs/2021/RIR21-SailingInstructions.pdf

9 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

To build on my post above, according to the race instructions the start/finish marshalling areas are north of Cowes/South of Bramble Bank. It will be thick with sailboats in these areas, probably throughout the day. Recommend the Outlaws avoid these areas as the potential for WAFI clusterfuckery is high.

Cr696pn.jpg

http://www.roundtheisland.org.uk/web/pubs/2021/RIR21-SailingInstructions.pdf

Yeah, fishing the bramble bank is defo out!! Shame. 

5 minutes ago, JonC said:

Do you usually display a day shape when at anchor? I always do when it’s busy, loads of sailing boats use our river. They probably don’t know what they mean but it will give you a better argument in the event of a collision. 

Personally I don't, but then I don't usually fish in the Solent. My patch is the East Wight area where there's a bit less traffic. I should still get a black ball though.

44 minutes ago, JonC said:

A plastic one made out of two max Bygraves Lps would work also. 

No not maxy babies tunes :classic_wacko:

I worked on his house once and so wanted his car registration number MB1

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Thanks for the heads up and planning such an interesting time to have the meet.

I'll bring me black ball

10 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

He will ya know @Maverick

I got black balled, the black spot and most other things blacked just for bailing coz me lad's still at school so couldn't make that weekend!!

Did he give you a black eye too? Or a black mark in his register? 😱

18 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

He will ya know @Maverick

I got black balled, the black spot and most other things blacked just for bailing coz me lad's still at school so couldn't make that weekend!!

To be able to bail on some thing Steve, you first have to commit to it. 
You never committed, so never blacked balled. You just got put on the naughty step. 

5 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

To be able to bail on some thing Steve, you first have to commit to it. 
You never committed, so never blacked balled. You just got put on the naughty step. 

Ohhhh, so that's how I got piles, sitting on a cold damp step!!!

Actually, I was right up for til dates were set..... But heyho, not to be this time

So not long to wait now.  I have been sorting out my tackle, live baitwell, iceytek, kitchen stuff plus other bits.  Our plan is to leave Poole around 8am on the Friday, collect some live baits then fish south of the iow.  When fed up make our way to the Marina.  We will load up the cool box with mackerel and squid so should be prepared for most eventualities but is there any need for us to bring worm baits or should we be ok with just fish baits?

Edited by Maverick

3 minutes ago, Maverick said:

So not long to wait now.  I have been sorting out my tackle, live baitwell, iceytek, kitchen stuff plus other bits.  Our plan is to leave Poole around 8am on the Friday, collect some live baits then fish south of the iow.  When fed up make our way to the Marina.  We will load up the cool box with mackerel and squid so should be prepared for most eventualities but is there any need for us to bring worm baits or should we be ok with just fish baits?

Depends on what species you fancy chasing. Generally I'd say squid and fish baits would be fine, but if you want to hunt for a plaice then worm would be the preferred bait. Might also be worth bringing a few hardback for the smoothounds, or bring a crab net and see what you can rustle up from under your berth.

12 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Depends on the mark you want to fish. I’ll be taking squid, sand eel, mackerel and crab. Plaice will take long strips of squid as much as worm bait. If you don’t want the mess of rag, then a wrap or two of black lug. 

Not really the correct place to post this, but I think this thread will probably have the most readers. I am booked in for the meet next week. Of course my boat will not be quite finished (will it ever be?), but the boat now has an engine fitted and should float so I shall be dragging her down to Mercury next week. I still have no instrumentation and seem to remember that headlight suggested a combi unit some time ago. Can anyone advise me of any bargains that are readily available that I could jury rig rather than relying on a compass and leadline! If anyone has a used spare unit that they wish to sell I would also be interested. I should have posted this a couple of weeks ago, but have been quite busy. Thanks for reading this. Geoff. ☺️

Can't help with a combi unit but good on you for bringing Offshore Outlaw down for the meet. If it helps you can always follow the rest of us closely which should keep you out of trouble. 👍

16 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Not really the correct place to post this, but I think this thread will probably have the most readers. I am booked in for the meet next week. Of course my boat will not be quite finished (will it ever be?), but the boat now has an engine fitted and should float so I shall be dragging her down to Mercury next week. I still have no instrumentation and seem to remember that headlight suggested a combi unit some time ago. Can anyone advise me of any bargains that are readily available that I could jury rig rather than relying on a compass and leadline! If anyone has a used spare unit that they wish to sell I would also be interested. I should have posted this a couple of weeks ago, but have been quite busy. Thanks for reading this. Geoff. ☺️

If you have a smart phone (Android or Iphone) then use that.

I have checked my Iphone against the plotters, and it is equally as accurate.

3 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

If you have a smart phone (Android or Iphone) then use that.

I have checked my Iphone against the plotters, and it is equally as accurate.

Thanks Ian, I had thought that may be possible. I do have and android telephone, although being old school I only use it for emergency telephone calls (if my RR breaks down or to ask Joyce to put the kettle on etc.) and I do not really even know what an app is!!! I was hoping to find something that would give position and depth that is easy to use and would come in handy as a spare for when and if I get properly sorted. I did buy some used older equipment, but decided that I think I would be better off with something more up to date. Geoff.

1 minute ago, Geoff said:

Thanks Ian, I had thought that may be possible. I do have and android telephone, although being old school I only use it for emergency telephone calls (if my RR breaks down or to ask Joyce to put the kettle on etc.) and I do not really even know what an app is!!! I was hoping to find something that would give position and depth that is easy to use and would come in handy as a spare for when and if I get properly sorted. I did buy some used older equipment, but decided that I think I would be better off with something more up to date. Geoff.

Wait till you get to the meet and I am sure that @Andy135 or @Saintly Fish will be able to guide you though putting 'Navionics' on your phone, which will give you both charts and plotting.

If you only use it when the RR breaks down, then you must use it a lot !