new boat advice

Raider 18 by a country mile. Put a cover on it and an auto bilge pump you’ll be fine 

Warrior 175 second place.

A raider will get you home when it gets rough, great fuel economy and high gunnels 

Yeah they do seem popular Odyssey - and must be for a reason I guess. The self draining decks is not for rainwater - it is stored on a slipway with bungs out. It would be for any water coming over the side. With the high gunnels though, would help a lot.

Like I say, if any of them come up I would seriously consider buying - but not many of any of them seem to come up often. I will keep looking.

OK - so after a couple of months seriously looking into needs and comments/feedback, now narrowed down to the following

Pirate 18 cuddy
Sea Champion 18
Smartliner 19
Westport Pilot 6

These all around 18/19ft mark with self draining decks. Plus they all seem lighter than some of their rivals.

Have room for maybe up to 20ft length as long as not too heavy so other suggestions welcome.

Meanwhile, if anyone knows of any of the above for sale or coming up for sale (second hand) then be grateful if you could let me know - or other suggestions for something slightly larger - although that is not essential as weight also a factor. Would want something in good condition with no work required.

Did really like the look of the Pirate 21 but just too big for where we are.

Cheers

somewhere around 16k or less would be good BUT - if something came up that I really liked - then Im sure I wouldnt be able to help myself.

The boat would only be used for fishing 100% of the time (and we get out all the time weather permitting) which means I am not looking for luxuries. Have all electronics to fit from current boat.

Andydavy  - never knew that, thanks for advice. Any idea what year they changed over?

Suzook12. Yeah - looked at those plenty. Seems they are a bit old though and I cannot find one for sale anywhere- rocking horse.  That said, if one came up in good nick..

1 hour ago, Peachey said:

Andydavy  - never knew that, thanks for advice. Any idea what year they changed over?

I did a bit of research into Pirate 21's before I bought my current boat. I seem to remember around 2006/2007 but I could (quite easily) be wrong.

Best bet would be to ring them and ask.

https://www.pirate-boats.com/

17 minutes ago, JonC said:

I seem to remember a few unhappy customers, poor customer service etc but I may have dreamt that. Though if buying a second hand boat any issues should have been ironed out. 

edit

This is based on rumours and not substantial claims so please don’t  take legal action Mr Pirate. 

I bought a used boat from Mr Pirate. Never again...

31 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Guess it weren't the Black Pearl then??

No, it was my Orkney 440. As I paid for it I saw that someone had left on the counter a sheet of paper that outlined the agreement he had with the owner - 20% brokerage fee. For a couple of online adverts and half an hour of work...! 😡

At that point I promised myself that I'd never again use a broker, either for buying or selling.

8 minutes ago, JonC said:

To be fair to the broker there is a little bit more to it, look at the hassle @KennyPowers had with fishy's mate. If you work out the time spent on the phone for that return 

Yeah, but Mr Pirate isn't a broker. He's a boat builder who occasionally sells used boats. So he's charging brokerage fees to cover brokerage overheads he doesn't have.

Like I said, never again...

4 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Yeah, but Mr Pirate isn't a broker. He's a boat builder who occasionally sells used boats. So he's charging brokerage fees to cover brokerage overheads he doesn't have.

He takes in boats as PX. In doing that there is a financial risk of having cash tied up in a boat that may take a while to sell. 

I sold my Orkney through a broker, he sold it on a trailer when he brought it to his yard. I tried for 6 weeks to sell it but only got fender kickers. 

He has a buyer waiting. £500 well spent... 

Pirates are nice boats but I wouldn’t judge all brokers by them...

Pirates are heavy, well built hulls. I’m not sure how easy to trailer launch on a regular basis.

7 hours ago, Andy135 said:

A lot of boat builders sell used boats, usually only their brand.

Ribcraft certainly do, but the boat has to meet their strict criteria before they will take part ex on a new model. Generally Ribcraft part ex boats are sold before being advertised as there is waiting list.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for suggestions to date - but still not found the right boat. New ones seem to be circa £25-30k plus the dreaded, which at moment is a little out of my range. I am looking at £18k absolute max.

Can anyone suggest places to look other than boats and outboards and FAFB?

Cheers

15 minutes ago, Peachey said:

Thanks again for suggestions to date - but still not found the right boat. New ones seem to be circa £25-30k plus the dreaded, which at moment is a little out of my range. I am looking at £18k absolute max.

Can anyone suggest places to look other than boats and outboards and FAFB?

Cheers

You could try apolloduck.co.uk.

If you PM me with your requirements I'll post them up on my boat club's private WhatsApp to see if anyone can be tempted to sell or knows of one available.

If you have a few makes you are interested in Google will come up with quite a few. Can be time consuming to trawl through but what else can you do locked down!

I have found brokers tend to leave sold boats advertised. I am also surprised at the number of advertisers who don't respond to an enquiry.