Advice

14 minutes ago, KennyPowers said:

Geoff if still for sale message me and I’ll ping you money over I can do PayPal or whatever you want? 

If we're talking about the VHF, then I think that was @Odyssey selling, not Geoff.

If we're talking about something else then I'm totally confused 🥴

I often notice how so many in the UK insist on DSC, where here I don't know anyone who bothers setting it up. Maybe because we don't have landbased stations set up for it and the fact no other boats tend to use it that your not really sending the signal to anyone. Our volunteer rescue centre has around 12 radios and 6 large screen computers listening and watching boaters movements but no dsc. I also saw a USA report where 8 out of 10 vessels had it setup incorrectly. Pushing the button is one thing but relying on other vessels to know the protocol when they here it is another thing. Do people on here know what to do when they hear a dsc signal. A dead boat ( flat battery, electrical issue etc) or tipped boat isn't going to have much use for it. Don't get me wrong I do see its merit if people have it setup correctly and others know how to respond when they hear it. I'm just surprised that we have around 300 vessels per day log on with marine rescue via vhf radio in a day from a small coastal town of 8000 people. There are more vessels that don't log on with these volunteer rescue groups than do.

I hope dsc doesn't give people a false sence of security and those who have it have fully tested it. 

Edited by JDP

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

Tbh Jon I think most people press the escape button when the alarm goes off.

I have a couple of other boats mmsi stored but by the time you dial them up it easier just to give the big shout out on 16. 

Yep, agreed. By the time you've navigated through the VHF menus by twiddling the knobs and pressing enter you may as well have just shouted your call to all and hope your target station picks up.

We have to carry a epirb if more than 2nm offshore, a plb is optional but these aren't considered a marine item and more for land use. I have both as well as a Garmin inreach so I can use two way communication anywhere outside on the plannet.

We have the option to log on by radio with marine rescue telling them how many onboard, destination and return but I find this can be a pain if you change location regularly. The marine rescue app is much better, you simply log on by using the selections in the app and the rescue centres can then track your phone on their large navigation base computers, this way will often more than double your vhf range.

9 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

So none of you have any of these MMSI numbers in your radio's directory ? .................. I have about 30 mmsi's stored ............

http://www.coastalradio.org.uk/mmsi.htm

Nope. And that's my point. By the time you've navigated your VHF's MMSI menu and found your target station's MMSI entry it's just quicker and easier to raise your target on 16.

If the VHF manufacturers paid more attention to the usability of their menu functions it might be different, but users will always take the easy option, not necessarily the technologically smart option.

2 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Nope. And that's my point. By the time you've navigated your VHF's MMSI menu and found your target station's MMSI entry it's just quicker and easier to raise your target on 16.

If the VHF manufacturers paid more attention to the usability of their menu functions it might be different, but users will always take the easy option, not necessarily the technologically smart option.

I guess for most folk, it is there for the emergency function ............ it certainly saves speaking the position 3 times !

I tend to use DSC to call Falmouth and Solent CG .............. A small group of us also use DSC to request a voice call, a bit of privacy is nice at times without going via 16 ........

9 hours ago, JDP said:

I often notice how so many in the UK insist on DSC, where here I don't know anyone who bothers setting it up. Maybe because we don't have landbased stations set up for it and the fact no other boats tend to use it that your not really sending the signal to anyone. Our volunteer rescue centre has around 12 radios and 6 large screen computers listening and watching boaters movements but no dsc. I also saw a USA report where 8 out of 10 vessels had it setup incorrectly. Pushing the button is one thing but relying on other vessels to know the protocol when they here it is another thing. Do people on here know what to do when they hear a dsc signal. A dead boat ( flat battery, electrical issue etc) or tipped boat isn't going to have much use for it. Don't get me wrong I do see its merit if people have it setup correctly and others know how to respond when they hear it. I'm just surprised that we have around 300 vessels per day log on with marine rescue via vhf radio in a day from a small coastal town of 8000 people. There are more vessels that don't log on with these volunteer rescue groups than do.

I hope dsc doesn't give people a false sence of security and those who have it have fully tested it. 

Very interesting to hear, I’m new to radios having never had one, the numbers you quote are astonishing really.

53 minutes ago, KennyPowers said:

Very interesting to hear, I’m new to radios having never had one, the numbers you quote are astonishing really.

Its a bit of joke that every home has at least one boat in its front yard over here, in reality most have two!!!

This is one of the areas I used to be a member of marine rescue at (now in a new area). Ramps like this are common around the whole country and boats capable of doing more than 10kts need to registered, my state alone has around 270,000 registered boats. On a busy day this ramp would have over 2000 launches in a day. When tuna are moving along the coast there will often be questioned of boats several km long into boat ramp facilities, many queuing and launching all through the night (tuna fever). Even inland dams and rivers are stocked with fish and attract huge numbers of boats.

FullSizeRender 7.jpg

I have an old Icom in the house but it’s not DSC enabled. Needs a new mic as well. However it does have fog horn/hailer. 

So I may fit that to boat as a spare and use it mainly as a hailer/foghorn.... assuming it doesn’t cost the earth to get a mic for it!