Any information on Rodman or similar?

The 9.80 is a nice boat but getting a bit big. Big boat, big fuel bill! From figures I have seen 2.7-3l/m. As I said, I don't have much income so running costs come from capital, one of those would need to be a fair bit cheaper to be affordable.

Normally there would only be two or three fishing a rod each, I don't need space for six rods!

I appreciate the input (well except the fancy rounders input!), Keep it up!

3 hours ago, Gordmac said:

The 9.80 is a nice boat but getting a bit big. Big boat, big fuel bill! From figures I have seen 2.7-3l/m. As I said, I don't have much income so running costs come from capital, one of those would need to be a fair bit cheaper to be affordable.

Normally there would only be two or three fishing a rod each, I don't need space for six rods!

I appreciate the input (well except the fancy rounders input!), Keep it up!

@Gordmac, the dry weight of the Antares is 5.3 tonne and the rodman 870 is 5.23 tonne. So yes a bigger boat but slightly lighter for the size equivalent. Fuel burn is obviously down to what engine is fitted and how heavy your throttle arm is on the lever. 
If it’s too big still then maybe consider the Antares 9 instead. 

here you go..

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2005/beneteau-antares-9-series-3529421/?utm_source=newsnow&utm_medium=paid-feed&utm_campaign=rubrikk_group

or even

https://www.boatclassified.co.uk/listings/jeanneau-merry-fisher-925/

54 minutes ago, JonC said:

I spend at least £1000 on servicing a little 21’ boat each year- I dare say it would triple for that size boat, and that’s basics. 

Talking sh1t again Jon? Unless the boat has twin engines you’ll get no where near triple the cost. Double maybe. 

4 minutes ago, JonC said:

I’m considering lift out wash down etc, I pay about £400 to be lifted,  proped on the hard and dropped back in. I would think that would double for a boat well over twice the size? 
I spent £650 on a timing belt service, ok that’s every 5 years so average that out over that period per engine,£150 on routine engine service, £ 60 on anodes , anti foul etc- you know better than most of us what it all costs. 
That’s without fixing any big holes that appear! 

Ah but you said triple on servicing not annual by the by yard maintenance. £650 for a timing belt service. I spent £99. Lift and block £320 with unlimited time ashore. Anodes, oil and filters maybe another £300. I’m sure @Gordmac has an idea already of those sorts of costs. He has just sold his boat so it’s not like he’s new to the world of boat ownership. 

37 minutes ago, JonC said:

I meant general yearly running costs to which I included all the things you have to spend out on. My point was that these are a major consideration if running in a limited income.

Yes agreed, but like I said, I’m sure Gord is aware of annual costs to own and maintain. 

25 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I don’t add up how much it costs per year but I have an idea....

It’s quite scary when you think of it 🤣🤣

Best NOT to think. One advantage of a smaller boat on a trailer. Geoff. ☺️

Thanks again!

Lots of Benny 9s about, more SD I think, at the moment I want the ability to sit at minimum 20kn so I can get somewhere if I want to and those are 15kn boats. Not much info in that ad for the MF 925, worth finding out more but it's smaller sibling is another 15kn boat with a small fuel tank. Bayliner has been mentioned before, not that far away so could gland Lok when it becomes legal. The Nimbus is another of those boats with a tiny cockpit designed for living space, been there and don't want to be there again!

I suppose if you pay someone to do the work maintenance can be costly. My last boat, 8m with twin 6cyl Fords on shafts cost around £1k a year for winter storage and maintenance. Outdrives are the unknown, they allow a faster speed on the same fuel burn so fuel costs are significantly lower and you get to go faster. From what I have gathered an outdrive service costs about the same as an engine so for similar service cost you can have two engines on shafts. You go more slowly for the same fuel burn though. Unknown is that outdrives could be more unreliable and you could be hit with high repair costs. I do like the manoeuvrability of twin engines and the slightly better redundancy.

20 minutes ago, Gordmac said:

MF 925, worth finding out more but it's smaller sibling is another 15kn boat with a small fuel tank

If your referring to the 805 then you are way off with the speed. A colleague of mine has one and his is good for 18-20 knots cruise, max around 22. 
From what you are saying @Gordmac it sounds very much like the puzzle I had been trying to solve for myself. 
You want a boat that gives... good accommodation , good range, good fishing space, a good turn of speed when needed without being a bullet and costing the earth to run, good sea keeping manners. All of this and NOT costing a bundle to maintain. 

The answer to your conundrum is a Starfisher 840 with a single 260hp Yanmar engine on a shaft. Just what I found for myself. This for me and my needs (which sound very similar to yours) is as close to perfect that you could get. Shes good for 20knt cruise and will do so all day, tops out at WOT at 24knts. Sits lovely in the water, fishes well at anchor with enough room for 3 with 1-2 rods each. Great for overnighting and not too large that the mooring fees are through the roof. 
You should take a much closer look at them. If you want to come and take a look at mine when travel is allowed, you’ll be most welcome to. 

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

If your referring to the 805 then you are way off with the speed. A colleague of mine has one and his is good for 18-20 knots cruise, max around 22. 
From what you are saying @Gordmac it sounds very much like the puzzle I had been trying to solve for myself. 
You want a boat that gives... good accommodation , good range, good fishing space, a good turn of speed when needed without being a bullet and costing the earth to run, good sea keeping manners. All of this and NOT costing a bundle to maintain. 

The answer to your conundrum is a Starfisher 840 with a single 260hp Yanmar engine on a shaft. Just what I found for myself. This for me and my needs (which sound very similar to yours) is as close to perfect that you could get. Shes good for 20knt cruise and will do so all day, tops out at WOT at 24knts. Sits lovely in the water, fishes well at anchor with enough room for 3 with 1-2 rods each. Great for overnighting and not too large that the mooring fees are through the roof. 
You should take a much closer look at them. If you want to come and take a look at mine when travel is allowed, you’ll be most welcome to. 

you forgot the cushions neal, and the bling oh sorry that was andys boat.

On 2/10/2021 at 6:32 PM, JonC said:

I meant general yearly running costs to which I included all the things you have to spend out on. My point was that these are a major consideration if running in a limited income.

I think John is not far off the mark with his guesstimate if you maintain your pride and joy to a high standard and pay for proper peeps to do the work for you.

Rodman 870 with twin engines costs for me are approximately as follows:

Haul out jet wash block of then relaunch £380 (MDL Cobbs Quay),  Anti foul paints 5 litres for 2 coats £160 (Seajet 033), Anodes including 4 no 100mm round on stern 2 prop anodes and 2 shaft anodes around £120.  Servicing of 2 engines £1200ish but this includes gearboxes + checking shaft and earth bonding continuity checks.  I then choose to pay some to wash polish the exterior and clean stainless work which usually works out around £450 however this year I am having a few fiberglass dinks sorted and the cutting and polishing done hopefully extra special by a couple of Sunseeker valets + they are renewing the plimsoll lines which have become annoyingly damaged and redoing all sealants so will cost considerably more. I am also having the fly bridge cover replaced as mine got damaged during the last storm we had that's another £460

Last year I had 2 new batteries plus and some pump or other replaced another £550

I will do all the internal cleaning and polishing myself (cause its warmer in the cabin).  I have been promising the boat I would have a go at cleaning the bilges for 2 years so may well do that, they are not bad but I just like the boat to look nice.  

1 minute ago, Maverick said:

I think John is not far off the mark with his guesstimate if you maintain your pride and joy to a high standard and pay for proper peeps to do the work for you.

Rodman 870 with twin engines costs for me are approximately as follows:

Haul out jet wash block of then relaunch £380 (MDL Cobbs Quay),  Anti foul paints 5 litres for 2 coats £160 (Seajet 033), Anodes including 4 no 100mm round on stern 2 prop anodes and 2 shaft anodes around £120.  Servicing of 2 engines £1200ish but this includes gearboxes + checking shaft and earth bonding continuity checks.  I then choose to pay some to wash polish the exterior and clean stainless work which usually works out around £450 however this year I am having a few fiberglass dinks sorted and the cutting and polishing done hopefully extra special by a couple of Sunseeker valets + they are renewing the plimsoll lines which have become annoyingly damaged and redoing all sealants so will cost considerably more. I am also having the fly bridge cover replaced as mine got damaged during the last storm we had that's another £460

Last year I had 2 new batteries plus and some pump or other replaced another £550

I will do all the internal cleaning and polishing myself (cause its warmer in the cabin).  I have been promising the boat I would have a go at cleaning the bilges for 2 years so may well do that, they are not bad but I just like the boat to look nice.  

Is that repeated because you have two engines Martin?? 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

@Maverick

Dont go agreeing with anything I say, you will be guilty by association and sent to Coventry 

John I was trying to get on your side after your recent threat to evict me from this fair place, anyways I heard that Coventry isn't that bad

11 minutes ago, Maverick said:

John I was trying to get on your side after your recent threat to evict me from this fair place, anyways I heard that Coventry isn't that bad

Don't worry Martin. Jon is all mouth and no trousers - he doesn't even know where to find the Ban button.

Mind you... he might make an exception for those that spell his name wrong. 😝