Any information on Rodman or similar?

On 2/11/2021 at 10:25 AM, Saintly Fish said:

If your referring to the 805 then you are way off with the speed. A colleague of mine has one and his is good for 18-20 knots cruise, max around 22. 
From what you are saying @Gordmac it sounds very much like the puzzle I had been trying to solve for myself. 
You want a boat that gives... good accommodation , good range, good fishing space, a good turn of speed when needed without being a bullet and costing the earth to run, good sea keeping manners. All of this and NOT costing a bundle to maintain. 

The answer to your conundrum is a Starfisher 840 with a single 260hp Yanmar engine on a shaft. Just what I found for myself. This for me and my needs (which sound very similar to yours) is as close to perfect that you could get. Shes good for 20knt cruise and will do so all day, tops out at WOT at 24knts. Sits lovely in the water, fishes well at anchor with enough room for 3 with 1-2 rods each. Great for overnighting and not too large that the mooring fees are through the roof. 
You should take a much closer look at them. If you want to come and take a look at mine when travel is allowed, you’ll be most welcome to. 

From what I can see the Starfisher comes in two forms walkaround or flybridge, you can't have both. My biggest issue with the accommodation on it and a lot of others is that they only have one fixed bed. I may take you up on your kind offer, they are one of the boats on the maybe list.

15 hours ago, Maverick said:

I think John is not far off the mark with his guesstimate if you maintain your pride and joy to a high standard and pay for proper peeps to do the work for you.

Rodman 870 with twin engines costs for me are approximately as follows:

Haul out jet wash block of then relaunch £380 (MDL Cobbs Quay),  Anti foul paints 5 litres for 2 coats £160 (Seajet 033), Anodes including 4 no 100mm round on stern 2 prop anodes and 2 shaft anodes around £120.  Servicing of 2 engines £1200ish but this includes gearboxes + checking shaft and earth bonding continuity checks.  I then choose to pay some to wash polish the exterior and clean stainless work which usually works out around £450 however this year I am having a few fiberglass dinks sorted and the cutting and polishing done hopefully extra special by a couple of Sunseeker valets + they are renewing the plimsoll lines which have become annoyingly damaged and redoing all sealants so will cost considerably more. I am also having the fly bridge cover replaced as mine got damaged during the last storm we had that's another £460

Last year I had 2 new batteries plus and some pump or other replaced another £550

I will do all the internal cleaning and polishing myself (cause its warmer in the cabin).  I have been promising the boat I would have a go at cleaning the bilges for 2 years so may well do that, they are not bad but I just like the boat to look nice.  

Interesting figures, thanks. The anodes only last one season? I take it you pay someone to do the service work? £1200 buys an awful lot of oil and filters!

14 minutes ago, Gordmac said:

From what I can see the Starfisher comes in two forms walkaround or flybridge, you can't have both. My biggest issue with the accommodation on it and a lot of others is that they only have one fixed bed. I may take you up on your kind offer, they are one of the boats on the maybe list.

Mine is neither walk around or flybridge. But yes to only one fixed bed and a lowering table in the saloon , which is ideal for two kids or one adult, providing they are not hulk hogan. If your after two designated beds then you need to go bigger which you don’t want to do, sorry Gord but you can’t have cake and eat it so to speak. 

@Gordmac, for what it's worth, I've been impressed with Neil's Starfisher. It's just right for his family and does seem to be the perfect middle ground between overnight/weekend boat and fishing boat. We've fished three on his and it wasn't a squeeze. When and if you can, I'd suggest you do indeed find a way to go and see his boat to get an idea of what it offers.

7 hours ago, Gordmac said:

Interesting figures, thanks. The anodes only last one season? I take it you pay someone to do the service work? £1200 buys an awful lot of oil and filters!

Yes I have a marine engineer do the works.  He is Volvo trained and only uses oem parts so instills confidence in me as I have zero skills in engines.  As an interesting aside on my last boat which had a single inboard with outdrive it used to cost more to maintain that engine/drive than the two engines on this boat

Berthing is also a large expense, if kept in a marina expect to pay north of 4k

6 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Yes I have a marine engineer do the works.  He is Volvo trained and only uses oem parts so instills confidence in me as I have zero skills in engines.  As an interesting aside on my last boat which had a single inboard with outdrive it used to cost more to maintain that engine/drive than the two engines on this boat

Berthing is also a large expense, if kept in a marina expect to pay north of 4k

What does cobbs cost for your 870 Martin? Is it in competition with Hamble prices ??

7 minutes ago, Maverick said:

My invoice was for 4184.51 inc vat and including the boating bonus from last years not used berthing.  If you pay in full before a certain date (now gone) you got a further 6% early settlement discount

Yeah mine was around £4500 then minus the 6%. So pretty similar. 
I may have to come pay Cobbs a visit in the summer. I’ll let you buy me a beer !! 

Unfortunately I agree with Jon again (before you get twitchy Jon its not you but the cost of the anodes :-))  At the end of a full year my prop anodes have all but gone, so have my shaft anodes, my 4 no 100mm stern anodes are best part of 50% gone so they are all doing their job.  If I had no erosion on my anodes I would probably have no props or rudders left lol

Edited by Maverick

17 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Unfortunately I agree with Jon again (before you get twitchy Jon its not you but the cost of the anodes :-))  At the end of a full year my prop anodes have all but gone, so have my shaft anodes, my 4 no 100mm stern anodes are best part of 50% gone so they are all doing their job.  If I had no erosion on my anodes I would probably have no props or rudders left lol

Yep, it's what anodes are for after all. Better to replace an anode than a prop.

Thanks for the comments. A Starfisher is certainly interesting. I suppose the double berth on one side of the cabin is more space efficient than one berth each side. Compromise is certainly the name of the game for most things, not just boats! Interesting comment that a single outdrive cost more to look after than twin shafts.

You guys are paying crazy sums to keep a boat somewhere! I see now why some were wondering why I was so concerned on fuel costs.

1 hour ago, Gordmac said:

You guys are paying crazy sums to keep a boat somewhere! I see now why some were wondering why I was so concerned on fuel costs.

Gord, where we live fuel is the least of the worries. If you gotta worry about fuel costs, you can’t afford to own a boat. Unless it is trailered and on your drive. Boating (for my family) is a way of life not just a hobby. We tend to use the boat instead of going on long haul flights to far flung climates.  

Lol They are chinos but not Kays more like M&S or even next, I know they are out of fashion for some but then I was wearing a white T shirt when I was about 12, BTW I still do wear them lol a creature of habit I guess.

Anyhow, why are you taking an interest in my lower parts perv

4 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Lol They are chinos but not Kays more like M&S or even next, I know they are out of fashion for some but then I was wearing a white T shirt when I was about 12, BTW I still do wear them lol a creature of habit I guess.

Jon can’t help it he’s twisted like that! 

8 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Take no notice of them Martin, they're just jealous that they can't pull off a sartorial triumph such as that. 😉👍