Teignmouth Saturday

thejollysinker

3 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

Cheers Mike. I have a triangle that Neil kindly donated and I was using it. Just needed to get even more space between boat and buoy and it was rough and I started flapping a bit 😅

Hopefully no more dramas thanks to all the good advice from everyone 👍😊

I tend to use a lump of 2x1 with an hole in the middle to loop the rope. Sometimes I just put a clove hitch around the wooden priest and use that 👍.

If I am mega lazy, I just tie an alpine loop on the warp and clip on to it with the buoy, then when it is time to recover I just motor up to the buoy, clear the apline loop to allow the ring to slide, then just drift back in the tide until the warp tightens to recover.

I generally like to take off the ring stop before I recover, as it saves it banging on the gel coat.

13 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

Cheers Mike. I have a triangle that Neil kindly donated and I was using it. Just needed to get even more space between boat and buoy and it was rough and I started flapping a bit 😅

Hopefully no more dramas thanks to all the good advice from everyone 👍😊

Gary, I missed out an important point 🙄.  The moment you drop the anchor, always 'mark' it on the plotter, you can then use the plotter to drive in a large 'C' around the anchor, this is often easier than doing it by guesstimate when watching the buoy, especially in deep water, as it is sometimes difficult to guesstimate distance etc. On the plotter you can see exactly your location with ref to the anchor mark. As you pass the anchor, you should see the warp firmly change direction.

On the outer edge of the skerries, there are a couple of marks when I drop the anchor in 150ft, and then let the boat drift back on the warp (450 - 550ft of warp) to put me fishing half way up the bank shelf. These marks are on my plotter as 'anchor drop' marks. To recover from these solo by hand, would be an absolute nightmare !, using the Alderney method it is a 5 min job.

Edited by GPSguru

13 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Gary, I missed out an important point 🙄.  The moment you drop the anchor, always 'mark' it on the plotter, you can then use the plotter to drive in a large 'C' around the anchor, this is often easier than doing it by guesstimate when watching the buoy, especially in deep water, as it is sometimes difficult to guesstimate distance etc. On the plotter you can see exactly your location with ref to the anchor mark. As you pass the anchor, you should see the warp firmly change direction.

On the outer edge of the skerries, there are a couple of marks when I drop the anchor in 150ft, and then let the boat drift back on the warp (450 - 550ft of warp) to put me fishing half way up the bank shelf. These marks are on my plotter as 'anchor drop' marks. To recover from these solo by hand, would be an absolute nightmare !, using the Alderney method it is a 5 min job.

That’s a good tip Ian, thank you for letting me know 👍🙂

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Is it time for annual service ?

I noticed it was out and on the trailer this afternoon 🤣🤣🤣🙄

Something like that.

needed to finish setting up the trailer, sort those pesky spark plug caps out, rake the mooring, give it a scrub, blah blah blah…..all in advance of advertising it for sale 😪

52 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

Something like that.

needed to finish setting up the trailer, sort those pesky spark plug caps out, rake the mooring, give it a scrub, blah blah blah…..all in advance of advertising it for sale 😪

Bigger boat next ?

1 hour ago, thejollysinker said:

Something like that.

Hopefully to upgrade??

Unfortunately no 😕

I can’t keep up with it what with shift work, family matters and other stuff. I have to manage the boat on my own with no help and as much as I enjoy it, it is taking up far too much time when I’m in demand for all the other crap life throws at you 🤷‍♂️

I need to be retired with a nice pension then I can mess about with it whenever I want but hey ho! 

It’s been one of the best experiences of my life owning a boat and I’ve learnt so much. Maybe a smaller boat on a trailer is more up my street for the future but for now this one has to go 😪

41 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

I need to be retired with a nice pension then I can mess about with it whenever I want but hey ho!

True 🙄, although grandchildren duties and the evitable OAP health issues can sometimes put a damper on it.

I will keep you in mind as I sometimes have a spare seat in the winter months 👍 (The wife is a summer angler and Kyle is nose to the grindstone with A levels)

Edited by GPSguru

11 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

It’s been one of the best experiences of my life owning a boat and I’ve learnt so much. Maybe a smaller boat on a trailer is more up my street for the future but for now this one has to go 😪

I do hope its not the anchoring experience that's put you off - as it does get easier with practice and experience!

11 hours ago, GPSguru said:

True 🙄, although grandchildren duties and the evitable OAP health issues can sometimes put a damper on it.

I will keep you in mind as I sometimes have a spare seat in the winter months 👍 (The wife is a summer angler and Kyle is nose to the grindstone with A levels)

I’m sure they do. Got three grandies now and that’s bound to increase when the other siblings start to multiply 🤣

Thanks Ian, it’s nice of you to offer 👍😊

19 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

I do hope its not the anchoring experience that's put you off - as it does get easier with practice and experience!

No Mike, things like that just make me more determined to get it right the next time. Time is the biggest single issue….