Yarmouth Deeps, Needles and Dolphin Bank

Andy135

Twas a great red letter day with the weather and sea conditions. Shame we never landed more fish on the SPJ gear, but some lessons learnt and we will be back for more soon!! 
Shame @JonC couldn't make it, but next time eh Jon!! 

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

@Saintly Fish it must have been quite a privilege being having the big End of Game boss on the boat. I hope he wasn’t too harsh on you? 

He's actually not as bad as some would have you believe. If you just don't talk to him he's fine!! I just let him get on with it, and I drove the boat. 

IMG_2116.thumb.jpeg.91056e48412b9f7c350e8b479804d1e0.jpeg

Just now, suzook12 said:

So you boys seeing better catches on SPJ over normal fishing?

I would say so. To be fair we didn't do much lure fishing to start with, but with SPJ's it's getting more consistent than with jellies or shads. Drop down until you hit the bottom then two turns up and start jigging.

What I like about SPJ is the variety of species you get. Across the boat SPJ sessions, we've had... pollack, cod, bass, coalfish and wrasse, and from the shore it's been mackerel, bass, wrasse, pollack and gurnard.

2 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

@Andy135 Is that because you are targetting areas better suited to SPJ or are you on normal marks fishing alongside static baited rigs as well?

Can't fish both side by side as SPJ is fished on the drift vs static baits at anchor. Also, it would depend on what you're targeting on baits. Rays or eels are unlikely to take a lure, but for example I've caught many more mackerel on jigs from shore than from feathers, and comfortably more pollack.

Same for marks - some are better suited to anchor, others on the drift.

So you feel its definitely worth the investment then.

I will monitor the water colour around here, its often quite murky round this area til summer proper (both days). Even the drift marks are very hard work seldom producing much.

Good work you two 👍

12 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

So you feel its definitely worth the investment then.

I will monitor the water colour around here, its often quite murky round this area til summer proper (both days). Even the drift marks are very hard work seldom producing much.

Good work you two 👍

Don't need to spend much to fish with jigs. A spinning rod and a FS reel from shore or a spinning rod that will take a multi from a boat will be fine. But as an exception that proves the rule, Leo caught a whopper of a wrasse using my spare spinning rod and FS reel when we were with @Odyssey on Odyssey in Wales back in the autumn last year.

Suggest you spend no more than £50 on a few jigs of various weights (colour less important in my view) and use a spinning rod or 12/20 and just see what happens 👍.