Garmin Navionics Vision +

Right, the above subscription is about to end for my plotter/fishfinder.

is there any way to have relief shading (that’s the only premium feature I care about , without paying 95 quid to garmin) ??? 

thanks

Ben 

The subscription is just for map updates no? On Lowrance I never bothered with the rolling subscription each year and the maps & relief shading worked just fine. Pretty sure with Garmin it's the same - the sub is for yearly updates not a way of charging you for access to the maps you've already paid for.

My understanding and that isn’t great , hence my asking,  is that the chart stays as it was when you bought it but the premium features are lost without the active subscription??? Thats live chart updates, 3D port views, satellite images of land, something to do with active captain and .5m contours and relief shading.? Dont care about the first bunch but relief shading is great…

I wont sign up and I guess we’ll see what I have in a week or two ! 

Posted (edited)

TBH…. Where we fish you don’t need it…

I’ve tried using it on Navioncs on my tablet. I’ve found it more a distraction when on the drift. Sonar charts works well. 

it’s also worth noting that it’s not an actual chart. It’s a computer rendered version of a chart, so the actual topography maybe different to what you see on the chart….

(ducks and runs for cover after throwing the grenade as I know most love it) 

Edited by Odyssey

On 5/19/2024 at 2:55 PM, Odyssey said:

actual topography maybe different to what you see on the chart….

Pretty much what I thought, if boats are not going over the ground then it won't show on RS also areas where boats give it the hammer, such as just beyond the bar on estuaries, as they head for the horizon. 

It is useful when dropping the pick on a wreck, as you can see the orientation, but that info is also available from sources like wrecksite etc.

I only use it on active captain for identifying new potential new ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the shading has disappeared from the plotter ! Annoying and I already miss it ! But it still seems to be there on my phone (active captain app) how does that work ???

1 hour ago, ukspearo said:

Well, the shading has disappeared from the plotter ! Annoying and I already miss it ! But it still seems to be there on my phone (active captain app) how does that work ???

Assuming your plotter is one of the newer models, then just sync your active captain map tiles to the active captain card in the plotter.

Mine occasionally loses relief shading (2 x 95SV Plus) and that is because Garmin plotters sometimes dont read the active captain card on boot up. Easy fix, just turn off the plotter, take out the card and then put it back in to reseat it, then turn the plotter back on and normal service is resumed.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, JonC said:

So basically @GPSguru told you to turn it on and off and to blow on the card, exactly the same as a Super Nintendo cartridge?🤣

Not quite, similar but not the same.

Garmin kit sometimes fails to remember that a card is in place, and just needs a gentle reminder 😉

Edited by GPSguru

• 4 weeks later...

I use Garmin blue chart g3 vision which has been extremely good in both 8410 and 8412, one off purchase, no subscription. I also had the simrad Navionic vision for simrad, which I gave to the owners of the commercial boat I work on at times. I also had the phone app version but dropped it after the subscription doubled. 

I also build my own quick draw charts in areas which haven't been surveyed. To be honest though, Ive been busy on other boats and stuffed with my back for a while, so will need to get my head around using it again now, especially given the boat Ive been working has Simrads. Building your own charts and setting various colours for different depths can be very useful.