Weymouth 25th May

had the inlaws down so me and phil joined Tim and his son out on Seadog on Saturday - glorious start to the day a with mirror flat seas.

Tim had been out the evening before to get fresh mackerel - so we went straight to our mixed ground mark. 

Fished small baits to start as the tide was running - we all had multiple bream, pout and I pulled out a lovely red gurnard. 

As the tide slackened off we switched to big baits - Tim and his son both had some big bull huss, I had a run of congers, and Phil hooked into a lovely big Small eyed ray! his first!

image.png.2ce40012a22aa20cee94f698ab1cc60e.png

image.png.757423cd57fde3154ca17e7a67437707.png

image.png.d33658265fbf3efb9961d9412aec1e58.png

image.png.c36dcf87b1ea6848de1109cb55bd77f2.png

image.png.6e93dd030a382da99ed504f83513da4f.png

the wind picked up in the afternoon - and about 10mins before we were due to pull the anchor something strange happened - the anchor buoy floated past us........ and off into the distance - now we had to do some quick thinking - how do we retrieve the anchor without and alderney buoy.?

assuming the alderney ring had sunk to the bottom of the anchor rope we quickly hooked up 5 or so of the fenders to a large karabiner - hoping the chain would pass through - i went up front to hook it onto the anchor line - to my amazement the alderney ring was sat there just below the water - presumably the tide was holding it from sinking down the rope - amazing - quickly with the boat hook and a well timed wave I was able to catch the ring and attach the fenders. we proceeded to pull the anchor with the fenders - which promptly went under and failed to lift/trip the anchor. now stuck fast, we decided to attach the anchor rope to a rear cleat and pull it out again - rather than risk driving over the rope - so back up on the bow to pull in enough rope to reach the rear cleat - this did the trick the second time round and the anchor not only came up but the fenders were enough to hold it up on the surface. 

now off to find the Buoy that had sped off in the wind and tide and was well out of sight! we did find it quite easily well over a mile down tide by then, and i scooped it up in the landing net - catch of the day!

some quick thinking saved us having to hand haul it up from 80ft! weird thing is all the Shackles and Karabiner were in tact - nothing had come loose? so no idea how it came free - can only assume the karabiner opened somehow...... (a twist in the rope perhaps?) we now have 2x karabiners holding it on.

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well done on all front Mike. Don't suppose you found a large white bucket too did you? 

Wilson! 😲