Ford 2711E impeller speed compared to engine revs

Hi everyone,

I have a Ford 2711 E and would like to know the gearing between the engine drive shaft and the impeller used for cooling through the heat exchanger. I am having cooling issues and am wondering if there could be any slippage occurring between the 'motor' and the connection to the impeller pump.  If anyone has an exploded diagram or can point me to one that would also be very helpful. I don't have a good photo of it but it is in the bottom left (out of sight) of the photo.

Thanks in advance

Murray

IMG_3821.JPG

Hi Murray, welcome aboard.

When did the cooling issues first start, and did they come on suddenly or have they been getting worse gradually?

What makes you suspect belt slippage or impeller not pumping?

Could it be the heat exchanger has got salted/crusted up and isn't passing enough raw water through it to cool the engine?

There are two impellers, the one that pumps the seawater which draws from the sea through a stopcock via a strainer normally(is it clear?) then through various heat exchangers before exiting via the exhaust. In the 6 cylinder Fords this is gear driven from memory, is yours driven by a belt? The other impeller is driven by the belt in your picture and pumps coolant round the engine and heat exchanger and is a closed system, same as a car, this system is normally reliable.

When was your seawater impeller last changed? Does the seawater flow out the exhaust look reasonable?

Last time I had an overheat (6 cylinder Ford) it was a faulty oil cooler, traced with the aid of a non contact thermometer.

could also be faulty thermostat what makes you think it overheating bud i got one of those engines  when was the last time it was serviced are you only just using it again after winter or have you only just purchased it 

looking at the pulley  in the picture  are you its turning      lookes very  rusty   in the belt groove      it should have a polished   surface  and the belt looks very   low  in the grove    this  will  spin at a slower speed   than   a  belt that is flush  with the  pulley  

Hey guys thanks for your responses.  I do now have a new water pump. (the new ones have a SS boss as opposed to the light weight one you see in the photo.  Since writing my post, I have been able to find out that the impeller is driven by gearing from the drive shaft (helical). 

I don' think the thermostat id faulty as the water out the exhaust gets so hot you can't touch it. I have inspected the impeller and it looks fine bu the Jabsco service assistant has told me it is likely one of two things; a worn back plate or an impeller that has expanded and therefor would need replacing. There is a plug that should be fitted at the from of the impeller to stop wearing and fill and air gap in the assembly so that the vacuum in the impeller housing works better so I am going to replace the impeller and make sure the front plug is in place.

cheers, Murray

Just a thought - have you checked both impellers? The belt-driven closed-circuit engine cooling one and the gear-driven raw water one? Both need to be in working order for the system to cool as it should.

On 6/8/2024 at 8:27 AM, murray said:

I don' think the thermostat id faulty as the water out the exhaust gets so hot you can't touch it.

I'm not quite following this.... Surely the thermostat controls the water temp in the closed circuit?

Water out of the exhaust being hot? How are you determining which is water temperature and which is exhaust gas temperature?

To be fair, water dumped into an exhaust with gas temps of approx 650 degrees C post turbo, yeah, the water will be hot!

If you are running a temp gauge and that says normal, then you are prob running at normal temp, if it says hot, and you can't fins a reason, then change the sensor. You can test the thermostat in a cup to make sure it opens and closes and that the bleed hole/bypass is not blocked which could cause air locks

5 hours ago, suzook12 said:

I'm not quite following this.... Surely the thermostat controls the water temp in the closed circuit?

Water out of the exhaust being hot? How are you determining which is water temperature and which is exhaust gas temperature?

To be fair, water dumped into an exhaust with gas temps of approx 650 degrees C post turbo, yeah, the water will be hot!

If you are running a temp gauge and that says normal, then you are prob running at normal temp, if it says hot, and you can't fins a reason, then change the sensor. You can test the thermostat in a cup to make sure it opens and closes and that the bleed hole/bypass is not blocked which could cause air locks

Damn Steve you beat me to it!