Anchoring advice required

So, I’d like a little advice about anchoring. The boat has a pilothouse style cabin and at anchor is more prone to swinging than I’ve noticed in some cuddy style boats ( obviously it catches a bit more wind) 

it’s got a good weight delta anchor - 8m of chain and then some reasonably heavy rope. Boat is fitted with a windlass so some of the bridal type anchor arrangements aren’t suitable ( would just take too much effort to rig. 

this swinging makes down tiding  and uptiding kinda frustrated because lines (boat) are constantly moving.

obviously it’s not so bad when wind and tide are in alignment but when they’re not it can be a pain…..

what do people suggest ? Back anchor? Maybe a drogue?

I should say that most of the downtide fishing at anchor is done at say lunchtime when perhaps you still want to fish but it’s nicer to be in a bit of shelter ( although there isn’t ever no wind). 

As @JonC says, it's just one of those things. Reduce the lines in the water and suck it up. Generally if the tide isn't hard enough to hold the boat then the fish don't generally bite anyway. At least not in the Solent 

On 6/7/2024 at 10:38 AM, JonC said:

Some people us a drogue, I’ve not had much joy with them. I’m not keen on anchoring anywhere other than from the front pointy bit as it could potentially cause a big problem if a big boat causes a wake to roll you. 
Unfortunately a lot of the time you just have to ride it out. It’s a good time to have a cook up. Burgers are often a good option, maybe ribs. 

Gone off the pot noodles then?

Hi, 

We don’t get a huge amount of tide down there unlike Cardiff etc. 

Try not to let out too much warp. A bucket on a bridle out the back can help a lot as a drogue. 

Other option is to anchor in a bit more tide. 

If you are struggling to downtide, cast your leads behind the boat, don’t just drop them off the back the distance will help avoid tangles too. If there is a bit of tide cast to the side and the tide will take it away from the boat.

Most of our fishing is done on the drift, however like this last week has shown wind can be a real issue, and sometimes quality fishing marks can’t be fished because they’re too unpleasant to be sat at anchor on particular when wind and tide are at odds. 
So for example this week, when I couldn’t endure any more of the freezing wind, I hid for an hour beneath one of the cliffs out of the wind. The benefit of being based in Milford area is that most of the time there is some shelter either from swell or wind, but this week it’s definitely been the wind ….

Situations out of wind tucked into a bay means out of wind and typically tide too so I’m not sure a drogue is going to work but I’ll definitely try it next time. 

in the mean time I’ll experiment with a back anchor - I have a few old anchors that might just fit the bill ! The worst that can happen is that it’ll drag and I’ll pick up all my terminal tackle ! 

34 minutes ago, ukspearo said:

The worst that can happen is that it’ll drag and I’ll pick up all my terminal tackle ! 

Hmm, the worst that can happen is that the main anchor pulls, and the boat will swing very quickly stern on to the tide, which is a bad situation to be in.

The golden rule of small pleasure boats is never anchor or tether from the stern. I break this rule when using the alderney recovery as I sometimes pull from the A frame cleat ONCE the anchor has been broken free with the buoy by pulling from the bow, but I would never use an anchor off the stern in any tide flow.

Well like I said, I’ll be out of most current. If I was sitting in a torrent of tide flow I wouldn’t be having as much trouble with the wind 

…….and anyway in 30 years of boating I’ve never once had an anchor drag on me ! Maybe I’m over anchored, but when you often hop over the side of a boat with a speargun with nobody left on board, you don’t want to have an overly light anchor and chain or inadequate rode. 

27 minutes ago, ukspearo said:

Well like I said, I’ll be out of most current. If I was sitting in a torrent of tide flow I wouldn’t be having as much trouble with the wind 

…….and anyway in 30 years of boating I’ve never once had an anchor drag on me ! Maybe I’m over anchored, but when you often hop over the side of a boat with a speargun with nobody left on board, you don’t want to have an overly light anchor and chain or inadequate rode. 

Only takes that one time for things to go quickly wrong though! But hey, I'm sure you know your patch well enough! 

10 hours ago, ukspearo said:

Couple of thoughts on this.

1. Your downtide lines will tangle around a stern anchor line, especially if you're bringing a fish up. For that reason alone I'd avoid it.

2. Spearing solo is a dangerous thing, more so from a boat at sea. When I spear-fish I have someone on standby in case I need them for whatever reason. The risk of shallow water blackout for example gives me the willies and will be fatal if there's no one around to keep your airway above water.

No fish is worth your life buddy, be safe out there 👍

If you are drifting, a drogue is a great thing and I use one on my kayak and friends boat. I find a light trip line helpful to retrieve it rather than having to haul in all that water in a chop!

Edited by Malc

Andy135, thanks for the advice and concern  but I have been spearfishing alone from the shore and boats in the day and at night for 20 years….. I’m well aware of the risks ! 

Actually I far prefer to only having myself to worry about. Not seeing your dive buddy for twenty minutes….. that’s when you start getting scared! 

When it’s howling you’re better off going towards lawrenny and driving the river mouth there with lures…. Some good bass fishing to be had…

Anchoring in the haven can be a pain as such little tide off Watwick/angle you always swing at anchor… by the mining jetty you’ll get more shelter and a chance of a few rays etc as more tide there to keep you straight. 

im not sure if want a back anchor out though as the ferry comes at a hell of a lick and the tankers aren’t slow… but that’s just me 🙂 I’d rather be in cabin eating biscuits and drinking coffee 😂😂😂

Fairly mad …… erm perhaps, exciting… very!  
How do you see fish at night - a quality torch or two helps no end, same as when you fish in the daytime looking in caves, holes and under ledges ! 
it’s not like you have to see far , a few metres is enough———🐟——>

Same as rod and line really, size limits , daily catch limits , no take zones (although they’re few and far between), nursery areas apply. Can’t sell speared fish and it’s considered unsporting and immoral to spear on scuba. 

some countries have restrictions on spearfishing at night….. 

Obviously there is no catch and release but it’s not easy, the number of days you can do it each year are limited by fair weather, you have to work for your dinner and you see what you’re catching, so….. there is no accidental bycatch or fish damaged by hooks you intend to release. It’s the ultimate in selective and sustainable fishing…..

21 hours ago, ukspearo said:

Same as rod and line really, size limits , daily catch limits , no take zones (although they’re few and far between), nursery areas apply. Can’t sell speared fish and it’s considered unsporting and immoral to spear on scuba. 

some countries have restrictions on spearfishing at night….. 

Obviously there is no catch and release but it’s not easy, the number of days you can do it each year are limited by fair weather, you have to work for your dinner and you see what you’re catching, so….. there is no accidental bycatch or fish damaged by hooks you intend to release. It’s the ultimate in selective and sustainable fishing…..

Chaps I spoke to at the weekend seemed to think it was illegal at night, and a quick check online supports that https://www.spearfishing.co.uk/faqs/legal/ unless something changed when we left the EU - but that seems unlikely.

Well I’d say the regulations are unclear in the uk . I’ve never been able to find a document on a .gov fisheries committee website that outlaws night spearfishing in the uk and don’t forget that’s many areas and remember too that wales is different again !

if anyone knows of one particularly for wales I’d be delighted to hear about it ! 

I know that the uk spearfishing association claims it’s illegal but they also promote fishing competitions (don’t get me started on the immoral ethics of competitive spearfishing) so I’ll take what they say with a big pinch of salt. 

worth remembering that spearfishing also generically refers to not just the poking of fish but also the gathering (on breathhold) of shellfish and crustaceans… which isn’t illegal at night regardless.

i might edit the title of this thread to reflect its change of direction! 

3 hours ago, RogB said:

Chaps I spoke to at the weekend seemed to think it was illegal at night, and a quick check online supports that https://www.spearfishing.co.uk/faqs/legal/ unless something changed when we left the EU - but that seems unlikely.

Agree. It's been illegal in the UK for some time. 

IFCA regs on spearfishing including size limits and dawn to dusk only: https://www.cornwall-ifca.gov.uk/recreational

Screenshot_20240612_215839_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8d602111550a7874e4193a0a3c48cc1f.jpg

Cornwall perhaps…… You won’t find any such document on a legitimate Welsh government website… 

…… but  for any of you anglers who haven’t tried snorkelling around the British coast I advise you to give it a go, watching fish behaviour and presence or absence of species will be an eye opener and significantly change how, when or where you fish with rod and line 

27 minutes ago, ukspearo said:

Cornwall perhaps…… You won’t find any such document on a legitimate Welsh government website… 

You asked for a .gov site and I gave you one. Feels like you're moving the goalposts now.

Agree that snorkelling to observe fish behaviour is worthwhile for any angler. It's also useful for checking out potential marks for later fishing with rod & line.

6 hours ago, Andy135 said:

You asked for a .gov site and I gave you one. Feels like you're moving the goalposts now.

Agree that snorkelling to observe fish behaviour is worthwhile for any angler. It's also useful for checking out potential marks for later fishing with rod & line.

Of you go to St.Cats then!! Go do us a recky.. 

10 hours ago, ukspearo said:

Well I’d say the regulations are unclear in the uk . I’ve never been able to find a document on a .gov fisheries committee website that outlaws night spearfishing in the uk and don’t forget that’s many areas and remember too that wales is different again !

if anyone knows of one particularly for wales I’d be delighted to hear about it ! 

No no …. No goalposts moved at all. I’m interested to see any info on regulations but not everywhere is the same! So thanks for showing me something .
Cornwall has had regulations or maybe more strict regulations  , because there have historically been more people involved in spearfishing. 

My original statement that started this was that “ in some countries spearing at night is illegal “ and that regulations for the UK ( the whole of the UK ) were unclear …. I stand by that …

Area by area though regulations are different, Wales for example is ludicrous as far as scallops are concerned …. Closed season May-oct inclusive for hand diving ( basically the whole season you might be able to gather them ) but ironically you can trawl all year if you’re commercial.

when i started spearfishing 20 years ago in Wales there were literally a handful of us ! Now it’s become more popular unfortunately but as a recreational activity it’s still incredibly marginal.

There are different fishery rules in Wales to England for sure. I’m not sure on this particular case but for others it’s definitely the case.

Ive done quite a bit of snorkelling. Pembroke is brilliant for this. Such a varied wildlife so close to shore. A great way to find out where bass are hiding… can’t get my boat near them and the cliffs are inaccessible so I guess they are safe for a while 😂

Thwre are few spear fishing guys about. There is one boat that often stops in Milford Marina called Spare Rib (it’s a rib). Nice guys to chat to, always happy to share marks etc. 

Ill stick to above water fishing myskef but I can see the attraction for sure