Nice to get out - 12 Jun

GPSguru

• GPSguru changed the title to Nice to get out - 12 Jun

Thanks for sharing Ian, looks like a good morning out. Nice little vid too. I must say the soft cushioning sides of a rib do look a delight to lean against as opposed to the hard gunwhales of a Grp boat! Just a shame you don't have 4 berths, a kitchen, toilet and candy strip curtains!! 

19 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Thanks for sharing Ian, looks like a good morning out. Nice little vid too. I must say the soft cushioning sides of a rib do look a delight to lean against as opposed to the hard gunwhales of a Grp boat! Just a shame you don't have 4 berths, a kitchen, toilet and candy strip curtains!! 

Yes, Neil, it is not so bad falling onto the tubes !

BTW you can have all of the above with a RedBay RIB, excellent sea keeping, highly regarded and made in Ireland, but you are talking £££££££££

With regard to the vid, I was using my new DJI Osmo Action 4, and TBH IMO it is streets ahead of the gopro. I was expecting to have to 'brighten up' any stills due to the position of the sun, but the actual video shot in 4k60 was fine, so I used it.

I don't know about the Solent, but here we have been plagued with a short sea, and it has been like it for 3 months now, with swell patterns of 1.7 - 3 secs, which as you well know, is mighty uncomfortable, both for travelling at speed and drifting.

But yes, it was a pleasant morning and worth taking the chance to get out 👍

Lovely vid and lovely fish. 👍

My daughter Emily also watched the video and asks if you ever worry about falling in ("as the sides are so low!")?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Lovely vid and lovely fish. 👍

My daughter Emily also watched the video and asks if you ever worry about falling in ("as the sides are so low!")?

Yes & no. 

RIB’ s have very little freeboard and you are always aware of that fact, however, the tubes are also very wide ( 500mm diameter). So,  much wider than the average gunnel, so you tend to fall on them rather than over them.

It is a fast boat, with a low freeboard, so the wearing of lifejackets is a given.

Edited by GPSguru

Nice one, great report and vid. You're correct i have asked about the Meat boat as it's only about 10 miles from Brixham so if we ever get a decent enough forecast to make it worth the tow down we may give it a try

29 minutes ago, JonC said:

The Meat Boat sounds like a really bad gay bar. 

Maybe,  the sort of places YOU visit 🙄

TBH, there is no clear answer as to why it is called the Meatboat

This is the verbiage from Wrecksite "The name " meatboat " was acquired due to the fact there was a quantity of sheep carcases floating in the area after the sinking. La Blanca was a refrigerated ship lost in this area"

However, I think it has been identified as the SS Styrn which was torpedoed in 1918, but that boat was known to be carrying only ballast,

32 minutes ago, Dicky said:

Nice one, great report and vid. You're correct i have asked about the Meat boat as it's only about 10 miles from Brixham so if we ever get a decent enough forecast to make it worth the tow down we may give it a try

Yes, I think a little more than 10 miles, closer to 12.

I might be wrong, but IIRC the British record Conger came off the wreck, Vic Evans (RIP) skipper of Sea Spray caught it in 1995, 133lb

It is a 15mile steam for me from Teignmouth

On a decent day there are a group of 4 wrecks about another 5 miles out and all of those fish well. However, this area is known for its rougher than normal sea. I have been out there on my boat when the swell was 15 - 20ft, but a decent 10sec between swells.

BTW, the Commerical Pollock ban has made a huge difference to our wreck fishing this year, long may it continue 👍