Nice to get out again - 17th Jun

GPSguru

On 6/18/2024 at 11:51 PM, GPSguru said:

...that tried to take a whole mack flapper and was cleanly hooked on an O'Shaughnessy 9/0

Had a similar experience, 6" muppets and half mackerel fillets and a half pound whiting neatly hooked on an 8/0 meat hook!

1 hour ago, jonnyswamp said:

Not a criticism in any way, but wouldn't it be easier to bring a fish in with your left (rod) hand above the reel ?

You'd get more leverage, making it easier, especially on something that wants to put up a bit of a scrap

I'd noticed this too and couldn't figure why. I usually hold under the reel for control.  Ian did actually move forward when the fish came up a bit. 

1 hour ago, jonnyswamp said:

Not a criticism in any way, but wouldn't it be easier to bring a fish in with your left (rod) hand above the reel ?

You'd get more leverage, making it easier, especially on something that wants to put up a bit of a scrap

Normally yes, but I knew it was a pout and didn't need the net.

Under normal circumstances I never hold the rod on the blank above the handle, as that is a sure way to snap a rod as you change the blank dynamics by the grip position. 

just before the fish surfaced you can see me levelling the as it was bunching to the left.

generally I hold the rod at the reel, usually left hand. That way I have full control and quick access to the lever drag.

2 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

Makes the tiddlers feel bigger if you hold the rod underneath the reel 😉