Wow = what a day! 23rd June - Shambles Bank

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Well done @mike farrants but I think you need to show us an up to date calibration certificate before you start claiming doubles. 

i know- they were rueben heatons - but on a moving boat..... 

it was 72cm on a milwaukee tape measure if you wish to do the calcs..... but i thinks that's still under 10lb

8 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

rueben heatons

Normally they don't lie, as all RH are calibrated at the factory. The digital scales are best on the boat.

I carry both the specimen dial scales and the digitals.

Nice fishing Mike, and a great bass. I'll be honest though, if the bass was gut hooked then fair enough take it home. But if not I'd have put it back. A near double bass won't taste that great compared to a smaller younger one, and it deserves to live another day after all its avoided to this point. Just my opinion. 

On 6/24/2024 at 6:58 PM, Saintly Fish said:

Nice fishing Mike, and a great bass. I'll be honest though, if the bass was gut hooked then fair enough take it home. But if not I'd have put it back. A near double bass won't taste that great compared to a smaller younger one, and it deserves to live another day after all its avoided to this point. Just my opinion. 

I get your point Neil, and i did consider my decision before keeping it - but i've only caught 2x bass in the last 5 years fishing (only 3 keepers in my entire life), and i certainly wont be taking the next few bass - even if i'm lucky enough to catch one. given its likely 20yrs old, it pretty much past breeding age - i'd argue its the small younger ones that should go back.

I'm not up for a debate on the rights and wrongs of keeping fish - I only take what I'm going to eat - I put more fish back than I take home. 

2 hours ago, mike farrants said:

I get your point Neil, and i did consider my decision before keeping it - but i've only caught 2x bass in the last 5 years fishing (only 3 keepers in my entire life), and i certainly wont be taking the next few bass - even if i'm lucky enough to catch one. given its likely 20yrs old, it pretty much past breeding age - i'd argue its the small younger ones that should go back.

I'm not up for a debate on the rights and wrongs of keeping fish - I only take what I'm going to eat - I put more fish back than I take home. 

That's fair Mike, like I said it's just my POV, I'm not implying you should do what I do. You're a grown man who makes his own decisions in life.