Friday 5th July Bristol Channel

A look at the tides and weather Thursday swayed me towards a trip heading West towards Nash for a crack at some Bass

Just myself and Nipper onboard and was through the lock with hardly time to tie up as it coincided with high water

The forecast was chance of a bit of drizzle and 6/7 knot winds early on, dropping off in the afternoon

The sea started off choppy and by the time we got to Barry we were down to around 12 knots as the swells were getting worse

The wind was supposed to be N Westerly and light, they were closer to 20 and from the West, which wasn't pleasant and against the now ebbing tide

We got as far as Fontygary and gave up on Nash as it would've been pretty much unfishable

We tucked in out of the wind and drifted for a while, picking up half a dozen small Scad and a few Mackerel

After about half an hour or so, the wind buggered off and the sea flattened, so back to plan A

We tried in tight, out wide and every where inbetween, nothing, not even bait fish there

Made our way back up the coast, stopping for a drift here and there without much success, then saw a small Wilson type in close pulling up a string of mackerel

We picked up some Macks here for the bait freezer, then headed up to the Coral to anchor up for the last hour

Here we had 3 Blondes to 14lb and a shed load of dogs, Nipper had the Blondes and I had the dogs (pretty much the story of my teens) and got the 3.15 lock back in

So no luck with the Bass, have they followed the bat fish out to deeper waters ?

Coming back up past the Knap I spotted what may have been @daio web ?

I did give a toot of the horn, but only one trumpet works and it aint very loud

20240705_134452

9 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

A look at the tides and weather Thursday swayed me towards a trip heading West towards Nash for a crack at some Bass

Just myself and Nipper onboard and was through the lock with hardly time to tie up as it coincided with high water

The forecast was chance of a bit of drizzle and 6/7 knot winds early on, dropping off in the afternoon

The sea started off choppy and by the time we got to Barry we were down to around 12 knots as the swells were getting worse

The wind was supposed to be N Westerly and light, they were closer to 20 and from the West, which wasn't pleasant and against the now ebbing tide

We got as far as Fontygary and gave up on Nash as it would've been pretty much unfishable

We tucked in out of the wind and drifted for a while, picking up half a dozen small Scad and a few Mackerel

After about half an hour or so, the wind buggered off and the sea flattened, so back to plan A

We tried in tight, out wide and every where inbetween, nothing, not even bait fish there

Made our way back up the coast, stopping for a drift here and there without much success, then saw a small Wilson type in close pulling up a string of mackerel

We picked up some Macks here for the bait freezer, then headed up to the Coral to anchor up for the last hour

Here we had 3 Blondes to 14lb and a shed load of dogs, Nipper had the Blondes and I had the dogs (pretty much the story of my teens) and got the 3.15 lock back in

So no luck with the Bass, have they followed the bat fish out to deeper waters ?

Coming back up past the Knap I spotted what may have been @daio web ?

I did give a toot of the horn, but only one trumpet works and it aint very loud

20240705_134452

yeah that was me mate fishing was poor down that way  only managed a few  👍