Jack Tar 17fter

suzook12

So where to start?

Well yesterday, finally got on it, and first unexpected problem found was drainage. With the cockpit floor somewhat lower than the main deck, it was flooded. There is a drain in the floor, but it doesn't flow to the main bilge where it can be pumped! Then, when the front locker was opened, that too was flooded, with nothing in the way of a drain! Need to have a proper look at these, either additional pumps or out with the drill and putting drain holes in. So far, an hour spent manual bailing did the trick.......

I also had a look at the electrics..... Ahem

What a mess!!

Did go through the functions, and quite a bit surprisingly worked, and chased down some of the hanging wires and identified them. No anchor light and no cabin light. Deck lights work but a bit feeble, so 2 areas to look at there....

The bilge pump was also playing silly buggers, but this might just be the battery needs charging. Will try again today hopefully....

I will add pics later, as stuff starts happening, also, it will be videod and on youtube....

There will be an upcoming thread and getting the engine up and ready, a yam 55 PTT, so new wiring will be added for that as well....

There will also be a trailer project when I go pick it up, as no doubt, you will have noticed, that this boat does not fit this trailer.......

More later with pics.....

4 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

If it were a fish box where would he put the yam 55?? 🤯

It was a rhetorical question... unless the previous owners nailed the o/b onto the back of the fishbox?? 😬

It is a pod, I'm sure that should also have a drain!!

Apparently, with a kilo or 10 of salt, this thing does 30knots with a 90 on the back!!

Gee, that looks shocking on the back. Have you put a drill into the transom to see if its wet and rotten ? I'd be surprised if it isn't. They've tried nautilus auto tabs and the most hideous pod Ive ever seen. Did they paint it with blue emulsion paint given how the paint has run down the pod. Certainly give you plenty to tinker with.

13 hours ago, JDP said:

Gee, that looks shocking on the back. Have you put a drill into the transom to see if its wet and rotten ? I'd be surprised if it isn't. They've tried nautilus auto tabs and the most hideous pod Ive ever seen. Did they paint it with blue emulsion paint given how the paint has run down the pod. Certainly give you plenty to tinker with.

Why not tell him his dog is useless, runs in and pegs birds as well?

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Why not tell him his dog is useless, runs in and pegs birds as well?

He's no fool. I'm sure he knows what could possibly be ahead on this project. I'd be tempted to remove the pod and try and get the boat back to its original state if it was something to sell on. Ive also been caught out with rotten floors and transoms both here and the UK, the costs to get repairs done well can soon mount up. Ive also put more than the cost of a new boat into the small 15ft I own now after replacing the trailer and engine, so I know how quickly things can get out of hand.

Right, the floor was redone with 18mm marine ply, everything around the transom seems pretty solid. There is some soggy ply at the front on underside of cabin, but well away from cleat. Possibly caused by a hole through the front, possibly access to the anchor well.

Yeah, the pod looks shit, but it is solid, good enough for this year anyway. As I like the space at the back, I don't think I'd like to have a splash well there BUT I could be tempted to take it back to inboard diesel in the future........

Just been and picked the new trailer up for it today, so will get that prepped during next week, and hopefully have the boat on it next weekend..... Needless to say, not only have I got and outboard to sort for a customer this weekend, but some idiot has just given me a full time job starting Monday!!

Fun Fun Fun

Ps, the dog says he wants a word @Malc 🤣

So, little update, managed to get the dash out, someone has screwed the switch panel in and fitted it right under the cabin ledge, so no chance of removing screws..... After that, I used my vacuum brake bleeder and removed around 120 litres of water that doesn't drain to the bilge. Rained again today so will give an idea of how much rain water gets in to those areas.

Looks like a bit of judicial drilling will be occurring very soon. I want this thing draining properly before it goes anywhere near the sea!!

Posted (edited)

So, got back to boat this afternoon. Cockpit floor flooded again and a bit in the bilge.

Bilge pump not working, so decided it was time to see what was going on there.... Well, what can I say??

The wires from the switch were about 0.5mmsq! the wires under the deck were twisted together , bit of solder then taped over. About 4 joins per wire all told. The manual wire wasn't even connected....... Basically, because of the thin wire at the switch end, there was a massive voltage drop to the pump. Never good.....

So..... We then started looking, and we found, botch after botch in the wiring. There are 2 10mm sq battery wires connected to the isolator that were just hanging in the breeze just waiting to short out on something, not even taped up!! There is a negative busbar but the positive was on a bunch of chocolate blocks. There were wires pulled tight all over the place, including an extra battery pair that was powering up the dash. Most wires have 3 or 4 joins in them, light as f**k and none of it fit for purpose.

I did connect the heavy lead up to the negative busbar, and ran the VHF aerial cable  so it ran by itself rather than bunched with LED lighting wiring which could cause interference.......

Boat wire 7.jpg

Boat wire 1.jpg

Boat wire 4.jpg

Boat wire 5.jpg

Edited by suzook12

Tomorrow, will be off to AED to get some supplies, then get the wiring at least tidy.

Will need some terminals, waterproof connectors or terminal box and some wire and poss some switches. Some gauges would be nice at some point , but that'll keep for now. There is enough work to be going on with and keeping this a quick turn around.

At some point, this boat will be a major project, but for now, just want it on the water and safe.

A box of trailer parts landed today, was going to do that tomorrow, but think it will be get the wiring sorted and dash back in kinda day.

Busy old day today. All the old shot ripped out, consul repositioned, radio repositioned, started to install fish sinder. New busbar fitted along with a fuse box, main battery lead reterminated and all the lights on fresh wire that was rerouted..... Also bought a new cabin light and fitted it. Everything tested ok, lights are far brighter than they were before too.......

Tomorrow will hopefully see the cabin end sorted, with radio, search light and bilge to wire. Also we have no horn, so that needs to be sourced. All the hardware can then be final fitted and sealed where necessary.

Will drag the throttle/gear control down and get that fitted up too then can check the harness length.

Will grab some stills later to post up