Jack Tar 17fter

suzook12

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

What you need deleted? @JonC can do it for you seeing as he has nothing to do these days !! 

For some reason that post appeared quoting the one before it, could edit it but not delete it.......

Posted (edited)

More done yesterday. Late start as had a funeral to attend by which time, was so hot, I waited til about 4 before heading to the boat.

cabin wires.jpg

Fair bit done again. Bilge wires run through and spliced, Plotter box relocated, consul trimmed and nailed down, vhf and search light power cables run through, battery cables rerouted and started terminating wires.

Edited by suzook12

So, I have been using some different products to my normal this time around. I have butt connectors with heat shrink, and I am also using a glued heat shrink. They don't shrink as easily, so bought a heat gun and that solved the issue.

Having issues with text and image placement this morning.

First part is to crimp the butts

bilge1.thumb.jpg.b8a1d8e7bb331ad346bed28ea6eef52e.jpg

2nd step, shrink the butt heat shrink

bilge2.thumb.jpg.237362117374d0b168f737079e162043.jpg

3rd step, cover with glued heat shrink.....bilge3.thumb.jpg.56fb42ba335ac155f8ea57ce81a6a0c5.jpg

Final step, heatshrink again over whole jointbilge4.thumb.jpg.31ae093003a197a01497e7927ed0b81d.jpg

As this is a 3 wire pump and couldn't find any suitable 3 core, I had to run another wire, so taped them together leaving enough spare to remake if needs be.

Today will be back at it, hoping to get everything wired to bus bars and fuse box. I also have to make some short wires from busbars to switches as well, need to run negatives for switches to illuminate and positive feeds to the fuse box. Hoping to have the wiring nailed today. Then next task will be concentrating on drainage.

Still not received the tyres yet, so no point doing the trailer yet, may well be a next weekend job, then can arrange getting the boat on to it......

Another busy day in the heat, but, apart from a couple of niggles the wiring is all done!! 😁👍

Everything powers up, I need to swap the wires round for the bilge pump, but that runs so much better now. I have to get the right fuses for it and I need to replace the rocker switches as they are a bit intermittent as to whether they are going to work or not.

I am very happy with the results. Obviously still have to sort the motor electrics but that should be straight forward.

Couple of days off now to recover from all the aches and pains and scorchio weather. Later in the week, I will cut a couple of bits of cockpit floor so we can get it draining properly. I will also drag the motor down and make a list of parts to order as well as set about mounting the control box. I also have to find/make/buy a mounting bracket for the HDS5M unit acquired from our very own Andy, and also need to find the navionics card acquired from our very own Neal. Onwards and upwards....

'Will try and get video edited and up tonight for anyone wanting a look see

9 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Good going Steve, you are cracking on nicely. When's the expected launch date? 

Cheers mate, I would love to say 3 weeks time, but, we'll see what it throws at us yet. Would rather have it right and miss the tope than in the water and dangerous faults

6 hours ago, daio web said:

that new heatshrink stuff is good with the extra glue 

Yeah, I am impressed to be fair. Bit harder to actually shrink, hence the heat gun bought yesterday, but does a lovely job 👍

20 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Cheers mate, I would love to say 3 weeks time, but, we'll see what it throws at us yet. Would rather have it right and miss the tope than in the water and dangerous faults

Of course no point pushing your luck 

Enjoyed the video's, I love tinkering on projects like this. Its amazing how many people simply wire up boats with cheap light gauge Chinese ebay wiring, my last boat had a carrier bag full of it, some was done using car radio speaker wire!!!!.  Shame the postage is so ridiculous as I have a few different lowrance brackets, 5, 7 and a 12, all part of the growing boats bits to go with the growing trailer bits. had the rattle gun going this afternoon stripping bits off the trailer Im taking to the tip. 
The boat looks to have a fair sized deck area, will it be a boat you plan on keeping or something to sell.

8 hours ago, JDP said:

Enjoyed the video's, I love tinkering on projects like this. Its amazing how many people simply wire up boats with cheap light gauge Chinese ebay wiring, my last boat had a carrier bag full of it, some was done using car radio speaker wire!!!!.  Shame the postage is so ridiculous as I have a few different lowrance brackets, 5, 7 and a 12, all part of the growing boats bits to go with the growing trailer bits. had the rattle gun going this afternoon stripping bits off the trailer Im taking to the tip. 
The boat looks to have a fair sized deck area, will it be a boat you plan on keeping or something to sell.

Hi Jon, yeah over seven and a half foot beam, that's what sold it.

As for whether it's a keeper, we will see. If I get on with it ok, it'll be around for a while, if not, will move it on. Like everything, if the right price is offered, it'll go..... But not until I've christened it

I have seen some real horror stories when it comes to wiring, bikes too, and inevitably, what starts as a tidy up ends up as a rewire, just because it's ultimately easier

Back at it today.

Mission today was to find out why water wasn;t draining..... Quite simple really, nowhere to run, no drain hole to allow it to get to the bilge pump!! Cut a section of cockpit floor out so as could get a pistol drill in to run a 19mm hole saw through. Will enlarge at some point and glue a tube in, will also make  a cover for the hole so water can drain out of the cockpit

A tube of sikaflex will stop other points getting water in and capping a hole off where we think an anchor winch was fitted.

The lead and plug arrived for the NMEA plug for the radio, so can get that coupled up and test it once I dig the navionics card out....

So, few little jobs for this summer to finish the boat, will be starting on the trailer very soon, and getting the engine ready.......

Video up soon