Sufix 131

For anyone who may have read any of my posts over the past few years, I've highly recommended the 131 braid. I've found it to outlast any other braid I've used, which ends up costing far less in the long term as I don't need to replace it often. In fact I've not replaced any in 4 yrs. The reels that I originally put this braid on have handled all sorts of fish, both large and small. Its only downside has been the price. This line casts very well, but like many braids, the accuracy of the strength labelling seems a bit off - expect it to break well above what the rating is.

Apparently Sufix are not making enough out of their premium line and sell far more of the cheaper 832, so are dropping the 131 from manufacture. So tackle stores this side of the pond are now selling it at well bellow the price of jbraid and other budget braids. If I hadn't recently spent so much on my boat and trailer I would be buying a little stock pile given how good the price is, however I have ordered 4 spools of 300m which should cover me well for the next few years.

If you have never tried it and considered it too expensive, keep an eye on prices to see if your local tackle store drop the price. Price here equates to around 20 quid for 300m of 10-20-30 and 50lb. 

A non related image of my boat in the background just to brighten the page !!!!!.....because I know Jon likes random pic's.

9E16B633-68FF-4281-B114-06FA198D361C.jpeg.c81b74a27efdb86a419f3e267fff4203.jpeg

32 minutes ago, JDP said:

For anyone who may have read any of my posts over the past few years, I've highly recommended the 131 braid. I've found it to outlast any other braid I've used, which ends up costing far less in the long term as I don't need to replace it often. In fact I've not replaced any in 4 yrs. The reels that I originally put this braid on have handled all sorts of fish, both large and small. Its only downside has been the price. This line casts very well, but like many braids, the accuracy of the strength labelling seems a bit off - expect it to break well above what the rating is.

Apparently Sufix are not making enough out of their premium line and sell far more of the cheaper 832, so are dropping the 131 from manufacture. So tackle stores this side of the pond are now selling it at well bellow the price of jbraid and other budget braids. If I hadn't recently spent so much on my boat and trailer I would be buying a little stock pile given how good the price is, however I have ordered 4 spools of 300m which should cover me well for the next few years.

If you have never tried it and considered it too expensive, keep an eye on prices to see if your local tackle store drop the price. Price here equates to around 20 quid for 300m of 10-20-30 and 50lb. 

A non related image of my boat in the background just to brighten the page !!!!!.....because I know Jon likes random pic's.

9E16B633-68FF-4281-B114-06FA198D361C.jpeg.c81b74a27efdb86a419f3e267fff4203.jpeg

I'm going to re spoil all mine soon so I will look out for this! Ta

i use two types of braid  one is/was  £40 for 2000m     8 strand    80lbs    that i use  when common skate fishing and the odd   shark / giant mackerel   trip     the other is  16 strand  hollow core  that costs   £109   for  2000m     i use  this to  splice  nylon top shots into    and to make wind-on leaders        id never trust ( J )  to fly a kite  never mind  using it for fishing       i did import some c16   hollow core from the states   and its  great to use   but very expensive   so    never use it now     tight lines Alain 

6 hours ago, willyhookit said:

i use two types of braid  one is/was  £40 for 2000m     8 strand    80lbs    that i use  when common skate fishing and the odd   shark / giant mackerel   trip     the other is  16 strand  hollow core  that costs   £109   for  2000m     i use  this to  splice  nylon top shots into    and to make wind-on leaders        id never trust ( J )  to fly a kite  never mind  using it for fishing       i did import some c16   hollow core from the states   and its  great to use   but very expensive   so    never use it now     tight lines Alain 

Do you ever post pictures of the sharks and skate you catch, don't remember seeing any on here.

the pics on my old camera where too big        the pics on my new camera seem to be ok    and down load on here no problem    just tried   down loading a few old pics   from years ago      all these fish where caught in the ( sound of Jura )      the pic with the kayak lads is me towing them back in after fishing 4 miles   down the loch     ive no idea why   i can down load  pics now      but ive thousands of them     tight lines Alain 

051.JPG

029.JPG

046.JPG

056.JPG

072.JPG

tell a lie  the  guys are  daisy chained off  my boat  common skate fishing     guy in the middle  ( Lozz ) was the first guy on a kayak to catch a 200 lbs   common skate       video   should be on youtube       (  scottish monsters  )  

10 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Do you ?? 
We only ever see your daughters fish!!

My daughter has pic's of me with fish and when Im alone fishing I rarely bother as its more a case of quick releasing alongside the boat trying not to damage the fish or boat. If Im keeping the odd tuna etc for food I will sometimes get a pic.

There's no way I would rely on ebay braid for any fishing, way to much time and money invested to risk it on.  The post was on 131 suffix braid, not a quest to find what others use. Just jogs my memory why I hadn't been posting on here.  

7 hours ago, JDP said:

Just jogs my memory why I hadn't been posting on here.  

Oh dear, did you get out of bed on the wrong side today Jon? I don't think Alain was turning it into a "what do you all use" thread. He was just joining in. Like I said, the sufix line is still way too expensive over here, so peeps can't afford that kind of stuff! 

a fool and his money soon part ways        i buy and use  what    ( Works )       if i can land a 200lbs common skate   & 4 lbs of lead  out of 650ft  of  water   using £40  braid for 2000m    then thats what ill use     if i want to fill a tiagra  80w   using  100lbs   Hollow core  that costs me  just over a £100  and  used to land a 550lbs    B F T  then ill used it until the cows come home     many a old car  racing car as beat  the works teams         having said that   im  a YORKSHIRE   MAN  we   well known for  having   long pockets  and short arms        tight lines   Alain 

11 hours ago, JDP said:

There's no way I would rely on ebay braid for any fishing, way to much time and money invested to risk it on.

I use Spectra braid from ebay. It is made in the same factory as Shimano power pro, it looks identical and behaves identical. 

also it is cheap enough to replace more frequently, which for me is every 2 years or so.

TBH, I am a lot more fussy about mono leaders, rig bodies, and snoods. Mono (co-polymer) does vary a lot and usually ‘cheap’ is rubbish.

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Oh dear, did you get out of bed on the wrong side today Jon? I don't think Alain was turning it into a "what do you all use" thread. He was just joining in. Like I said, the sufix line is still way too expensive over here, so peeps can't afford that kind of stuff! 

Yep another day in the hospital today, a few hassles just now, feeling a grump.

1 hour ago, willyhookit said:

a fool and his money soon part ways        i buy and use  what    ( Works )       if i can land a 200lbs common skate   & 4 lbs of lead  out of 650ft  of  water   using £40  braid for 2000m    then thats what ill use     if i want to fill a tiagra  80w   using  100lbs   Hollow core  that costs me  just over a £100  and  used to land a 550lbs    B F T  then ill used it until the cows come home     many a old car  racing car as beat  the works teams         having said that   im  a YORKSHIRE   MAN  we   well known for  having   long pockets  and short arms        tight lines   Alain 

Do you find you always get the same braid or ever noticed the same brand changes at all ? Ive had friends buy ebay braid and been happy with, then bought from the same site and had terrible results. Ive also had friends by what they thought was genuine saltine braid in  1500m spools on obey which you could break with ease. 
Apologies on the earlier post, had a few days in and out hospital which I find frustrating. Still good to see some of your pics. If the pics are too large to post, you can take a picture of them with your phone perhaps and resize down if you have more. Its funny as we are starting to see large skate in my area now, not rays but true skate like what you posted. What's more, one of the deep water investigators recently filmed skate at 3000m deep off the coast here, which was a huge surprise to the researchers. 

53 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I use Spectra braid from ebay. It is made in the same factory as Shimano power pro, it looks identical and behaves identical. 

also it is cheap enough to replace more frequently, which for me is every 2 years or so.

TBH, I am a lot more fussy about mono leaders, rig bodies, and snoods. Mono (co-polymer) does vary a lot and usually ‘cheap’ is rubbish.

How do you know its made from the same factory, is it stated on the braid or one of those stories that spread so much they much be true ? If its commonly advertised as from the same factory, why would anyone every buy power pro. Buy the way, even though power pro is very popular, I haven't used it in at least 10-15yrs, would rather use mono.

not noticed  any change in the braid i buy  as i buy it it in 2000m spools   but only   put 1000m on my   30w &  50 W  tiagras    3inch aussie   plait loop  is then  used on each   i then attach  a  wind on Nylon  top shot   if shark fishing     if  common skate fishing i just attach a  350lbs nylon  wind-on   and clip a hook traces  on    on the 80w ,s   i use 2000m of hollow core with a spliced in  nyon top shot       i use a ( Bee,s nee,s ) spooling   station with line counter     i set my reels drag using a  Bouz  drag checker  this is set at the reel  between the reel and the  first roller guide     

12 hours ago, JDP said:

How do you know its made from the same factory

As a tackle dealer, I am in direct contact with the wholesalers, so I get to know when a lot of 'major brand' is made, and some of it would surprise you !

An example would be 2 major hook brands in the uk come from the same factory, same batch runs. We will call them A & B. Some anglers use B because A breaks. Some anglers use B because A bends, yet they are the same hooks 🤷‍♂️

57 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

As a tackle dealer, I am in direct contact with the wholesalers, so I get to know when a lot of 'major brand' is made, and some of it would surprise you !

An example would be 2 major hook brands in the uk come from the same factory, same batch runs. We will call them A & B. Some anglers use B because A breaks. Some anglers use B because A bends, yet they are the same hooks 🤷‍♂️

Yes totally agree that many things come from the same factory and get labeled differently and not just fishing gear. I was just wondering where the info was coming from to state that powerpro and low cost ebay braids are the same and what is it called on ebay. I've seen some dreadful ebay braid which I 100% believe was just cotton. My personal experience with power pro bought from respected tackle shop dealers has been a short lived relatively thick braid that discolours quickly, fluffs up and breaks easily after a few uses on line class species. Yes using 50-80lb braid with drag settings of 10-20lb will hold up ok .

20 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I use Spectra braid from ebay

Yep, gets the 👍from me and several of my friends and lots of others I speak to, good quality gear tends to sell itself by word of mouth. 

Any of you experts can get large quantities of Hollowcore? Needs to be 100lb and I’m after 10,000m quantities…. 

42 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Any of you experts can get large quantities of Hollowcore? Needs to be 100lb and I’m after 10,000m quantities…. 

not a expert    but can get you  2000m  spools   from 30  to 500lbs    for about £109  per spool        its what i use    to make  my wind-ons     and on my tiagras   

16 hours ago, willyhookit said:

not a expert    but can get you  2000m  spools   from 30  to 500lbs    for about £109  per spool        its what i use    to make  my wind-ons     and on my tiagras   

Do you stick to buying the same labeled ebay braid or shop around ? Maybe its just this part of the world but everyone Ive known to try ebay braids have ended up binning theirs. Maybe being so close to China we get way more fraudulent braid. Ebay even shows this when I looked to see what we have on offer https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/BUYER-BE-AWARE-OVER-RATED-STRENGTH-RAITINGS-ON-BRAID-LINES-amp/td-p/1729155

Some of the department store braids can be cheaper than Ebay and at least people have a bit of warranty if it doesn't perform as advertised. I saw a conversation on another site where dry and wet strengths also changed on some of them.

We might only get 1 or 2 days (nights) opportunity to target broadbill, which can be in excess of 300kg and found offshore in water depths of 3000m. I'd prefer the confidence of knowing the braid on my reel when I have 1200m out that it is as advertised. 

6 hours ago, JDP said:

Do you stick to buying the same labeled ebay braid or shop around ? Maybe its just this part of the world but everyone Ive known to try ebay braids have ended up binning theirs. Maybe being so close to China we get way more fraudulent braid. Ebay even shows this when I looked to see what we have on offer https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/BUYER-BE-AWARE-OVER-RATED-STRENGTH-RAITINGS-ON-BRAID-LINES-amp/td-p/1729155

Some of the department store braids can be cheaper than Ebay and at least people have a bit of warranty if it doesn't perform as advertised. I saw a conversation on another site where dry and wet strengths also changed on some of them.

We might only get 1 or 2 days (nights) opportunity to target broadbill, which can be in excess of 300kg and found offshore in water depths of 3000m. I'd prefer the confidence of knowing the braid on my reel when I have 1200m out that it is as advertised. 

Totally agree…. 

I use the cheap stuff for general fishing but I use trusted (more expensive stuff) for the big fish trips.