The long and short of it..

Malc

49 minutes ago, Malc said:

A good weather window and we headed out in my friends boat to some wrecks off the mouth of the Tyne, first stop was a little bit further off the piers than normal due to the amount of fresh water coming out of the river for mackerel. I had 3 weever and the smallest whiting I have ever seen, about the length of my little finger! However the weever count for the species competition and my mate managed a few monster mackerel for bait. Pretty fish but nasty stings, and strangely well up in the water column.

20240718_174242.jpg.5c7f4dcc6e128352f7207be9a945bcd4.jpg

First wreck was pretty quiet but it was a small tide and early in the ebb. Next was better as we were getting bites on baited muppets etc. The idea was to get the easiest species for this time of year so we don't struggle later when they are offshore, I needed pollock and ling and my friend, ling, pout and haddock. 

He got 3 decent pout, best about a pound and half possibly a bit more and then a good bend in his rod had me grabbing the net, I was sure that it was a ling but a Cod of 7+ ended up on deck.

20240718_174436.thumb.jpg.e984e67fe744ad96e303f3c2ffd15100.jpg

Shortly after I had a savage take on my baited muppets and a few pumps had it away from the wreck and could reel more steadily. Turned out to be a nice eating sized ling around 6lb and another tick in the species competition box!

20240718_174340.thumb.jpg.9dcbaa206103097df3adf1d2f3d6bece.jpg

Looking forward to tomorrow's tea!

Nice. That Ling looks like he's looking forward to tea too !! 

27 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Nice. That Ling looks like he's looking forward to tea too !! 

Yeah, both the cod and the ling had nothing in them, very strange as the water was full of bait fish and mackerel and the sea floor full of pout and whiting 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Malc said:

A good weather window and we headed out in my friends boat to some wrecks off the mouth of the Tyne, first stop was a little bit further off the piers than normal due to the amount of fresh water coming out of the river for mackerel. I had 3 weever and the smallest whiting I have ever seen, about the length of my little finger! However the weever count for the species competition and my mate managed a few monster mackerel for bait. Pretty fish but nasty stings, and strangely well up in the water column.

20240718_174242.jpg.5c7f4dcc6e128352f7207be9a945bcd4.jpg

First wreck was pretty quiet but it was a small tide and early in the ebb. Next was better as we were getting bites on baited muppets etc. The idea was to get the easiest species for this time of year so we don't struggle later when they are offshore, I needed pollock and ling and my friend, ling, pout and haddock. 

He got 3 decent pout, best about a pound and half possibly a bit more and then a good bend in his rod had me grabbing the net, I was sure that it was a ling but a Cod of 7+ ended up on deck.

20240718_174436.thumb.jpg.e984e67fe744ad96e303f3c2ffd15100.jpg

Shortly after I had a savage take on my baited muppets and a few pumps had it away from the wreck and could reel more steadily. Turned out to be a nice eating sized ling around 6lb and another tick in the species competition box!

20240718_174340.thumb.jpg.9dcbaa206103097df3adf1d2f3d6bece.jpg

Looking forward to tomorrow's tea!

Well done Malc, I have been struggling to catch a ling this year. I normally run a wrecking rig ( 150lb rig body, blood looped with a 9/0) baited with either a mack or pout flapper, usually at slack water, but no takers apart from greedy jumbo pout. 

Sounds like you had a decent day out.

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Yeah, both the cod and the ling had nothing in them, very strange as the water was full of bait fish and mackerel and the sea floor full of pout and whiting 🤷‍♂️

That's not quite what I meant but hey... 

10 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I normally run a wrecking rig ( 150lb rig body, blood looped with a 9/0) baited with either a mack or pout flapper,

Our local wrecks are small and mostly well broken and scattered and the ling mostly small so we rarely need a hefty rig like this, once you get to Hartlepool and Whitby its a different story. I think its a bit sad about taking the fish but they were blown but I'm sure that my mate's dogs will enjoy the pout and that also compounds the lack of 20+ ling. However we have some good marks for pollock, which I love catching, that are in 20-40ft at HW so I feel better that we can release double figure fish after a fight all the way to the boat knowing it will be fine after release. 

We have an area which may need that kind of gear but it's a long way out and is earmarked for a full day out but we plan to have several boats go out together for safety reasons and as ever the North Sea has to be reasonably calm which is a big factor. 

nice  fish     Malc       i fish whitby     right up  the redcar  wind farm     only had the one day out so far   but now the kids are on holiday   i can  park the boat over night  in the school carpark    so hope to get a few days  fishing   if the weather allows        

tight lines Alain