Understand the ColRegs!

Quick reminder as to why it’s important to remember the Collision Regulations, especially when you’re in an area with a TSS (traffic separation scheme). £25k must of stung a bit….

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/day-angling-skipper-fined-for-breaching-dover-strait-shipping-lane-rules#:~:text=The skipper and owner of,prosecution costs of £25%2C000.

4 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Quick reminder as to why it’s important to remember the Collision Regulations, especially when you’re in an area with a TSS (traffic separation scheme). £25k must of stung a bit….

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/day-angling-skipper-fined-for-breaching-dover-strait-shipping-lane-rules#:~:text=The skipper and owner of,prosecution costs of £25%2C000.

that hert

I had seen that in the online news over here a couple of weeks back. Its amazing how many people don't have any clue on any sort of regulations, not just this. Being in a small boat in the ocean thinking you have the rights and entitlement to do as you please while other move around you seems quite normal with many people. In saying that the fine of 1730 was a big lesson and the 25000 in court costs is shocking. I would love to see a breakdown on what those prosecution costs are. Makes you think twice about considering using the legal system.

Edited by JDP

On 7/23/2024 at 8:11 AM, Odyssey said:

if he had a boat full of imergrints he would have got away with it, cant say more as it would be politacaul

7 hours ago, JDP said:

I had seen that in the online news over here a couple of weeks back. Its amazing how many people don't have any clue on any sort of regulations, not just this. Being in a small boat in the ocean thinking you have the rights and entitlement to do as you please while other move around you seems quite normal with many people. In saying that the fine of 1730 was a big lesson and the 25000 in court costs is shocking. I would love to see a breakdown on what those prosecution costs are. Makes you think twice about considering using the legal system.

He was contacted via VHF a number of times, in the end the navy had to go over to him and sort it out… so that was perhaps part of the prosecution costs… 

I’ve also seen recently that a Jet ski driver was also prosecuted recently under the updated Col regs where PWC are required to follow the Col regs…. Apparently he was was wake jumping in front of the Cowes ferry, in Cowes week forcing the ferry to take immediate evasive action…. 🫣🫣🫣🫣

Moral of the story….. read the rules folks, may save your life 🙂