Sunday 28th July Bristol Channel

jonnyswamp

Cracking forecast and good tide, be a fool not to go

The future sons in law mentioned a week or so ago that none of them had ever been boat fishing before (2 had never been sea fishing at all) so I said anytime you all want to go, we'll get something sorted, also I never asked you as I never thought they were interested

Jeez, we've been waiting years for you to ask us, they said in unison

So today was the day

Got the 8am lock out to a flat sea and sunshine, didn't want to punch the tide and head West (would've preferred Aberthaw area, but hey ho they were happy to be out) so settled into a mark out on the coral

Can usually guarantee fish here (except for 3 trips earlier in the hear when not even a bite was found on all 3 days)

Anchor down and set them all up with a downtide rod each, did a short baiting up and dropping off the back demonstration (the trotting back in the tide would be lesson 2)

I set up 3 uptiders and got them in the water, nominating 1 for myself and the other 2 being pool rods which would be taken in turn whenever a bite materialised

Bait was a 5lb box of Calamari and some frozen local caught mackerel from a few weeks ago

2 Metre  Jack was first in with a small dog, followed by a small Spotted Ray on his next drop, both on his own rod

To say he was buzzing would be the understatement of the year, 1 for actually catching a fish and 2 for beating the other 2 for the first fish, not necessarily in that order either

Next up was Owen with a small dog, also on his own rod 

After couple of missed bites, Justin got his first, a strap Conger that he thought was huge

I had a dog or 2 in between baiting up, netting and casting out (none of them fancied casting, as they were getting the odd nest just dropping down)

Mission accomplished as they'd all caught and had turned into excited 7 yr olds 🤣

It went a bit quiet and as the tide had eased a bit, I thought I'd try and get them on a some Blondes

Anchor up (from inside the cabin I might add, as my invention is still doing the business) and we moved up to the top end of a large sandbank a mile or so off Cardiff that usually produces some good Rays

Good move, as no sooner were the baits down, Jack was into what was obviously a nice Ray

It was indeed a Ray, but only around 8lb and it came in tail wrapped

This was the story for the rest of the morning/early afternoon, with the size of them getting steadily bigger

Ran out of bait and got the 2.45 inbound lock to make it home before 4 👍

Having 2 and 3 fish on at a time kept me busy and even my rod turned into a pool rod as they were just loving it

Watching them get the bug absolutely made my day and they're all good blokes as well, which is a massive bonus these days

Don't think I'll ever be short of crew now

A couple of pics of a great day

IMG-20240728-WA0004

Owen with his first Shark

20240728_122812

Justin, Jack and Owen with 3 decent doubles

Jack and Owen in sync

IMG-20240728-WA0001

In amongst baiting up, casting, netting and making tea

I did manage a few

Well done Nick, not only for taking out the boys but for also showing them how it's done by landing what looks like the biggest ray. 
It's always a nice thing to hear excitement on a vid when the "Gunna need a bigger boat" phrase is used 🤣
Looks like you forgot the tanning lotion though 🌞