VHF Radio licence

Hi I wonder if someone could clear this up for me. I want to install a VHF radio in my boat, do I need a licence I’ve read they are free and I’ve read there’s a charge to obtain a MMSI number can someone please put me straight? Thank you 

Almost every boat here will have a vhf radio, which there is a licence requirement to use, however both here in Aus and in the UK Ive never heard of anyone being asked to prove they have a licence. Maritime will not prosecute any boat owner using a vhf without licence to make a safety call. The only time people get in trouble is when being a nuisance on the radio. Doing an international recognised vhf licence course is very easy, however is it really needed. Most people can easily look up how to do a radio call, whether a mayday, pan pan or relay etc. I would recommend anyone to have a radio rather than not have one because they don't have a licence. Within 2nm its not a legal requirement to have any radio on a boat here but beyond that yes a radio and even an epirb is needed. 
You can always find your closest rescue service and get the phone number for the call station. In a boat like yours, consider a handheld waterproof floating vhf.

I the UK.

The ships licence is free if applied for online, the MMSI number is issued with the licence (no charge).

You should obtain an Operators Certificate, it's usually a 1 or 2 day course. I believe it can be done online.

Just do an vhf course through the rya and get a certificate. It's informative and real useful. 
You do not need a license to use a vhf (by that I mean if you get into trouble and use one nobody will prosecute you). It good to have a call sign and mmsi. 

As above, there was a small vessel a few miles away from us who hadn't a clue what to say when their engine failed (no anchor either). A quick PAN-PAN and they could have sorted it quickly and not looked like muppets. 

No one will prosecute you for using them in an emergency. I have my old vhf UK licence and a new updated vhf which was much the same cource as the UK when I did it here, its an international licence. I only did it a second time as it was part of our Coxswain training (Amsa international) where we were told that nobody had ever been prosecuted for making an emergency call worldwide. The radio training will teach you vital information you will never need to know!!!!!!..such as the distance certain satellites are and frequencies of certain radios to make calls 100's of kms that you most likely never own, or see. Ive worked with marine rescue for over 20yrs where hundreds of boats per day log on using their vhf radios, where I would guess over 90% are not licensed. In saying that we do need a boat licence here which does explain mayday, pan pan cals etc. Ive heard radio emergency calls where people have not remembered the mayday procedure due to panic, which hasn't stopped them being found or rescued in equally fast time. If they are able to say how many onboard, emergency situation and where they are, you can bet people will be on the way to rescue them, not sitting back saying they didn't have the message quite right and don't have a licence. Ive been onboard a vessel where the skipper was licensed but had never used a vhf in his life and when a boat capsized in front of us on a bar crossing, he panicked so much he wasn't able to use his vhf radio. I had to take over and relay communications to the rescue authorities and other vessels to stay clear as a rescue was in progress as well as a capsized boat in the main channel. Our radio conversation was nothing like vhf training day doing the course, it was real life interaction of a constant changing situation.

Most people these days log on before heading out in their boat via their phones (I also do it). I then put my phone in a waterproof case which I network to my other electronics so I can see who's calling me without needing to get the phone from the waterproof case. When I log on with the marine rescue group we have an option to allow the land base to track the phone, which I allow. The marine base has several large screen computers showing every boats position from their phones on the computer chart screens. We give a return home time, which can change by either altering on the rescue app or calling on the vhf radio. This info is also relayed via relay towers over hundreds of kms up and down the coast, so not simply vhf radio range. Its also a good way of getting help from other vessels quickly which are known to be in the areas. The phone now outperforms the radio by three times the range with offshore trips too. Personally I carry a Garmin inreach for communications and emergency without range restrictions, I can use it anywhere in the world as long as Im outside with a view of the sky.

You can apply for a small ships license here….

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/radio-equipment/online-licensing-service/

this will give you the MMSI number to allow DSC operation on your VHF. 

The RYA course is the VHF SRC. It’s a one day course with a simple exam at the end. It’ll take you through operating channels, pan pan vs mayday procedures and other useful information. That along with a Power Boat Level 2 gives you a good basic understanding of boating. A lot of centres do a deal if you look to complete both. 

At the very least read the RYA VHF handbook…. So you don’t end up saying “over and out” in real life 😉 

Another for the just do it call-

The one good thing about the course is that you actually use a radio, so you can get the mike shyness and newbee mistakes over and done with where it doesn't matter.

Its will also teach you how to use the DSC (Digital Select Calling) and the red button properly. As well as all that, you will go through different call scenarios, Mayday, Pan Pan etc and learn when to use what, what information to give......

You do remember this small rowing style boat with a little outboard is intended to be used just 100-200m from shore. Most people could row or swim back before a DSC or radio transmission could of been carried out. 

Not that Im discouraging having a radio or doing a radio course. 

8 hours ago, JDP said:

You do remember this small rowing style boat with a little outboard is intended to be used just 100-200m from shore. Most people could row or swim back before a DSC or radio transmission could of been carried out. 

But if that row style boat is just a taster boat then he could well be trading up ? Or maybe a mate has a boat with a vhf, or maybe he will go on a charter and the skipper falls ill ........ lots of if buts and maybes !! Better to do a course and not need to use it. 

On 7/30/2024 at 11:31 PM, JDP said:

he said up to a mile......

5 hours ago, suzook12 said:

he said up to a mile......

Yes correct mate, only remembered him quoting a couple hundred metres a while back, but yes you are correct. Also don't get me wrong in my comments about the importance of a radio or other form of two way communication. Its more a case of being with marine rescue groups for over 20yrs that I would rather anyone to have a radio onboard with or without a licence than not have a radio because they don't have a licence.

Here we are quite strictly governed in regards to a long list of must have safety gear, as well as needing a boating licence, which does cover how to use marine radio's. So even though people may not have the radio licence, they will know how to use them if they have a boat licence. We are checked regularly on safety equipment, my record was being checked 4 times in one day, firstly at the ramp on launch, later in the day by water police, then later again by maritime patrol vessel and to top it off fisheries!!!!!

From the small coastal town I live in with a population of 8000, we can have two maritime boats patrolling, 4 police jetskis, 2 fisheries officers on land and two in their inflatable as well as the 60ft police patrol vessel which randomly patrols up and down the coast. They are total pests when you are just wanting to get out on the water for a day. Every item is checked for dates and working order, if they pull open your self inflating life jacket and the gas cylinder has any corrosion you will cop a $250 fine, same goes if your it hasn't been inspected with the annual date stamp, some only have 12 month use life. flares have just gone out of date or the batteries in your floating torch are flat etc etc, expect another fine. We even have to carry 2lt of water per person onboard and wear lifejackets in all boats under 4.85m at all times. 

I agree, vhf regardless of licence. But all the better if you know how to use it.

Was quite surprising when I did mine, I was on CB for years so no issues at all, but there were 2 or 3 gin palace owners who really struggled with the basics, like keying the mike before you start talking...... If you have no experience of radio useage, then I think the course is ideal......

However, with many areas being combined nowaday, we got a call for a mayday at Matgate. Now, if we had left to attend immediately the call came in, we still wouldn't be back yet!! I think they need to look at it again, otherwise people will start turning them off....