First mullet

Andy135

Down in Cornwall for the week and we headed to Lantivet to take my son snorkelling. As we reached the headland we were greeted with a stunning vista.

20240730_131805.thumb.jpg.89fbdf7618274e756204f0f86e6aacda.jpg

Heading down to the beach itself we were looking forward to getting into the crystal clear water.

20240730_163959.thumb.jpg.ce0889ed1f2bf6c00e32bb3cfb9ceab3.jpg

After an hours' snorkelling together Tom headed back in for lunch. We'd seen some amazing ballan wrasse amongst the kelp. Both cocks and hens, proper fish the size of piglets, plus plenty of sandeels, spider crabs and a sneaky brown crab in a rocky hole that we couldn't quite tease out into the bag.

I stayed out and loitered over a submerged reef for a while, having a suspicion that bass would also frequent the same spots as wrasse. Of course I'd taken my speargun out with me. As if someone had flicked a switch I found myself surrounded by schoolie bass, with a huge mullet cruising below them. I took a shot but missed, the spear bouncing off the rocks below. Cursing my luck I reloaded the speargun and floated motionless above the reef again. Didn't take long for another shoal to come by, again with a mullet in tow. Another shot and success! A golden grey in the bag.

20240730_163211.thumb.jpg.1667f62577c63c67d49ea08b5593ce92.jpg

He tasted great on the barbecue with lime, salt and pepper - very much like mackerel.

9 hours ago, Malc said:

Nice, we never kept any mullet caught near the rivers or dockyards in Portsmouth, Devonport and Portland 💩 🤮 

I can understand that. Luckily this one tasted good 👍

Had another swim early this morning. Missed a couple of good mullet and a decent bass but at least I spotted this chap mooching about in the kelp.

20240801_105401.thumb.jpg.6f7083656efa6e0fbec3d9063c3693f8.jpg

He's due a hot bath tonight. 

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Had another swim early this morning. Missed a couple of good mullet and a decent bass but at least I spotted this chap mooching about in the kelp.

20240801_105401.thumb.jpg.6f7083656efa6e0fbec3d9063c3693f8.jpg

He's due a hot bath tonight. 

Is he worth the effort? Will he produce much in the way of eating ?

5 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Is he worth the effort? Will he produce much in the way of eating ?

20240801_210655.thumb.jpg.bf84cc159858fdaf17e57c8698b7e931.jpg

I'll tell you when I've finished his legs and done his body... 😮‍💨

48 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

20240801_210655.thumb.jpg.bf84cc159858fdaf17e57c8698b7e931.jpg

I'll tell you when I've finished his legs and done his body... 😮‍💨

Very much worth all the hard work, as the meat is beautifully soft and sweet, my favourite crab meat TBH

Not much in the body, 90% is in the legs and claws

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

Very much worth all the hard work, as the meat is beautifully soft and sweet, my favourite crab meat TBH

Not much in the body, 90% is in the legs and claws

Maybe, but with this one reckon I got at least 30% of the total meat from the body - much more than I was expecting.

And it tasted amazing 🤤

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Maybe, but with this one reckon I got at least 30% of the total meat from the body - much more than I was expecting.

And it tasted amazing 🤤

Yes, it really is the best tasting crab, but not popular here in the uk as compared to browns, spiders are hard work to process.

The frogs and the Portuguese love them.

A meal we used to have regular in the Vendee was langoustine with a spider salad (french dressed).

Edited by GPSguru

7 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Yes, it really is the best tasting crab, but not popular here in the uk as compared to browns, spiders are hard work to process.

The frogs and the Portuguese love them.

A meal we used to have regular in the Vendee was langoustine with a spider salad (french dressed).

I'm in the Vendee now, bloody hot out here 

3 hours ago, Dicky said:

I'm in the Vendee now, bloody hot out here 

Excellent, what part ? , le Sables, or st Gilles ?

maybe in little Venice ( the canals near Rochelle).

we go there  a lot because the vendee is renowned for its temperate micro climate, snd it can get very hot there.

1 hour ago, Dicky said:

We’re inland from La Rochelle in a little village by Fontenay le Comte 

Yes, I know that area well. You are very close to the Marais Pontevin, locally known as little Venice.

I have fished the Niortaise, and there are some exceptional river carp in there, mostly fully scaled commons with a good number of 50lb plus fish.

A nice long lazy day is hiring a boat and making your way slowly along the tranquil tree canopied canals, stopping at canal side restaurants for lunch etc.

We didn't go this year due to other 'stuff' getting in the way.

On 7/30/2024 at 10:15 PM, Andy135 said:

Down in Cornwall for the week and we headed to Lantivet to take my son snorkelling. As we reached the headland we were greeted with a stunning vista.

20240730_131805.thumb.jpg.89fbdf7618274e756204f0f86e6aacda.jpg

Heading down to the beach itself we were looking forward to getting into the crystal clear water.

20240730_163959.thumb.jpg.ce0889ed1f2bf6c00e32bb3cfb9ceab3.jpg

After an hours' snorkelling together Tom headed back in for lunch. We'd seen some amazing ballan wrasse amongst the kelp. Both cocks and hens, proper fish the size of piglets, plus plenty of sandeels, spider crabs and a sneaky brown crab in a rocky hole that we couldn't quite tease out into the bag.

I stayed out and loitered over a submerged reef for a while, having a suspicion that bass would also frequent the same spots as wrasse. Of course I'd taken my speargun out with me. As if someone had flicked a switch I found myself surrounded by schoolie bass, with a huge mullet cruising below them. I took a shot but missed, the spear bouncing off the rocks below. Cursing my luck I reloaded the speargun and floated motionless above the reef again. Didn't take long for another shoal to come by, again with a mullet in tow. Another shot and success! A golden grey in the bag.

20240730_163211.thumb.jpg.1667f62577c63c67d49ea08b5593ce92.jpg

He tasted great on the barbecue with lime, salt and pepper - very much like mackerel.

This is not cheating.... at all!!? 😅

A guy this way (that knows what he's doing) has had a couple of GG's to the same shallow diving lure! Jammy ... 

I'm down that way in a week, fully intend on taking lure gear.. any marks worth a go for Bass? 

1 hour ago, Hoop said:

This is not cheating.... at all!!? 😅

A guy this way (that knows what he's doing) has had a couple of GG's to the same shallow diving lure! Jammy ... 

I'm down that way in a week, fully intend on taking lure gear.. any marks worth a go for Bass? 

You back on WhatsApp yet? If not I'll send you a PM 👍