Navionics on Ipad

Hi all 

can anyone help, I have Navionics on my phone and IPad  but when at sea my IPad doesn’t connect to gps but works fine when at home. I even hot spotted to my phone to give it internet but made no difference. My phone always works at sea. I did used to use a smaller IPad with no issues but as can only now have 2 devices on the same account  I took that on off. Could it be that my iPad doesn’t have gps ?

any help appreciated, thanks 

Edited by Dicky

• Dicky changed the title to Navionics on Ipad

I think it might be using your home wifi which it obviously can't reach while away from home. You will need to connect via the phone wifi away from home and share that with other devices.

On 8/12/2024 at 9:48 PM, Dicky said:

Hi all 

can anyone help, I have Navionics on my phone and IPad  but when at sea my IPad doesn’t connect to gps but works fine when at home. I even hot spotted to my phone to give it internet but made no difference. My phone always works at sea. I did used to use a smaller IPad with no issues but as can only now have 2 devices on the same account  I took that on off. Could it be that my iPad doesn’t have gps ?

any help appreciated, thanks 

Generally, only iPads that have a cellular connection have built in GPS, so if your iPad doesn't connect to the network, then it probably does not have an inbuilt gps receiver.

Easy to fix, just get a bluetooth GPS device and connect it to the ipad. Usually the branded names work well, like Garmin, and Bad Elf.

If you post the model number (it is on the back of the case), it is easy enough to look up.

Edited by GPSguru

23 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Generally, only iPads that have a cellular connection have built in GPS, so if your iPad doesn't connect to the network, then it probably does not have an inbuilt gps receiver.

Easy to fix, just get a bluetooth GPS device and connect it to the ipad. Usually the branded names work well, like Garmin, and Bad Elf.

If you post the model number (it is on the back of the case), it is easy enough to look up.

Hi Ian

It's A1822, i don't think it has it as i think it is WiFi only not cellular

thanks 

17 minutes ago, Dicky said:

Hi Ian

It's A1822, i don't think it has it as i think it is WiFi only not cellular

thanks 

Yep, that is a 2017 5th generation ipad with the 9.7 screen, and wifi only.

you need to get a bluetooth gps puck, plenty on amazon. No need to go to the sort of price that bad elf want, unless you find a cheap used ( probably £40 ish). 

some of the chinky clones work just fine.