Only bait

JDP

Went to the beach in hope of a decent mulloway or hound. Haven't been for a while and to be honest I'm 4-5 days early for the best tide and moon phase. No end of salmon in the 2kg size which we use for bait, so loaded up on some of those for the first 20 mins before setting out a slab fillet. Took my daughter and the young lad I often fish with who now works for my daughter on the charter boats. 

I was fishing 3m traces on pulley rigs, joined to around 10m of 80lb wind on leader, all 80lb tackle and a single 10/0 circle. My rod got smacked by something, buckling over in the holder with line ripping for the reel. I got the young lad on it as Im still struggling with a bad back at the moment. With very aggressive head shakes and around 250m+ already from the reel, this thing wasn't slowing at all, until ping, it was gone. Obviously not what we were after as I was only fishing 80lb mono traces, however it wouldn't of made any difference if I had wire as the line was shredded at least 15m back up the main line. Im struggling to get my head around why it was damaged by obvious teeth and rough skin abrasion so far up the main line. Unless there had been several sharks and my line somehow got around another shark, it didn't make sense and something Ive not had happen so far up the main line. It may of started off as a decent fish or hound that was attacked by a far bigger shark possibly, which could account for the line been roughed up over such a length as the sharked chased it.

There are lost of great whites currently feeding on the masses of salmon schools and a species of shark Ive hooked on this same beach before. It could have been a large whaler shark hunting in packs but the fact the other two rods didn't get touched was really odd if that was the case. Anyway that's fishing, was a bit of fun and will try a different beach in a day or so, just trying to decide if to take the boat out now. Oh yes and its mid winter, so chilly here at the moment.

IMG_1959.thumb.jpeg.5d89c37f4cefc50f2777d661cc7dc608.jpeg

13 hours ago, JDP said:

Went to the beach in hope of a decent mulloway or hound. Haven't been for a while and to be honest I'm 4-5 days early for the best tide and moon phase. No end of salmon in the 2kg size which we use for bait, so loaded up on some of those for the first 20 mins before setting out a slab fillet. Took my daughter and the young lad I often fish with who now works for my daughter on the charter boats. 

I was fishing 3m traces on pulley rigs, joined to around 10m of 80lb wind on leader, all 80lb tackle and a single 10/0 circle. My rod got smacked by something, buckling over in the holder with line ripping for the reel. I got the young lad on it as Im still struggling with a bad back at the moment. With very aggressive head shakes and around 250m+ already from the reel, this thing wasn't slowing at all, until ping, it was gone. Obviously not what we were after as I was only fishing 80lb mono traces, however it wouldn't of made any difference if I had wire as the line was shredded at least 15m back up the main line. Im struggling to get my head around why it was damaged by obvious teeth and rough skin abrasion so far up the main line. Unless there had been several sharks and my line somehow got around another shark, it didn't make sense and something Ive not had happen so far up the main line. It may of started off as a decent fish or hound that was attacked by a far bigger shark possibly, which could account for the line been roughed up over such a length as the sharked chased it.

There are lost of great whites currently feeding on the masses of salmon schools and a species of shark Ive hooked on this same beach before. It could have been a large whaler shark hunting in packs but the fact the other two rods didn't get touched was really odd if that was the case. Anyway that's fishing, was a bit of fun and will try a different beach in a day or so, just trying to decide if to take the boat out now. Oh yes and its mid winter, so chilly here at the moment.

IMG_1959.thumb.jpeg.5d89c37f4cefc50f2777d661cc7dc608.jpeg

Salt water croc??

Just gotten in from another beach session, three more good shark runs all resulting in lost fish. The youngsters decided they wanted to change to wire and the bite shut down. Still a fun evening and good to be getting back out there.

Tried a different spot this evening, which didn't end well for my daughter!!!!! Big swell had us pushed up against the cliff where my daughter copped a couple of big waves soaking her from head to toe, another $1500 iPhone killed. I still managed a couple of salmon but had to drop down to an outfit with 10lb braid to get enough casting range in the wind.

Most likely head back to the the first place we fished again tomorrow evening until the swell backs down, currently over 3m.

5 hours ago, JDP said:

Tried a different spot this evening, which didn't end well for my daughter!!!!! Big swell had us pushed up against the cliff where my daughter copped a couple of big waves soaking her from head to toe, another $1500 iPhone killed. I still managed a couple of salmon but had to drop down to an outfit with 10lb braid to get enough casting range in the wind.

Most likely head back to the the first place we fished again tomorrow evening until the swell backs down, currently over 3m.

A $1500 iPhone should be waterproof!

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

A $1500 iPhone should be waterproof!

You would think, however the charging port isn't. She's gone through three in 12 months and doesn't seem to learn. She was wearing a waterproof jacket with sealed pockets but won't put her phone in those pockets as it takes to long to get it out. Myself and the other young lad avoided getting into that situation, however my daughter seems to have very little sense in regards to safety, how ever many times things happen to her.

7 hours ago, RogB said:

Phone in a waterproof pouch and get a smart watch linked to it...

She has a waterproof smartwatch, she was wearing a waterproof jacket with waterproof phone pockets. She's not to good at listening to parental advice though 🫣