Rigs, winders, etc

I know some people just buy off the shelf rigs due to time constraints or not needing many but I have a good number of rigs made up for various types of fishing and for the kayak, boat and shore. I tend to use a rig wallet for the kayak as its less space and generally rig winders elsewhere and especially for feathers/sabikis because as my friend says; Somewhere in Asia is a little old lady who knows how to mess with you by making sure that your rig looks good in the packet but will turn into knitting as soon as you try to get it out!

I noticed that tronix have put a small hole in the inside of the winder spool to put the link or swivel to start winding, which is a good idea I think. 

However do you have any tweaks or other ideas?

4 hours ago, Malc said:

I know some people just buy off the shelf rigs due to time constraints or not needing many but I have a good number of rigs made up for various types of fishing and for the kayak, boat and shore. I tend to use a rig wallet for the kayak as its less space and generally rig winders elsewhere and especially for feathers/sabikis because as my friend says; Somewhere in Asia is a little old lady who knows how to mess with you by making sure that your rig looks good in the packet but will turn into knitting as soon as you try to get it out!

I noticed that tronix have put a small hole in the inside of the winder spool to put the link or swivel to start winding, which is a good idea I think. 

However do you have any tweaks or other ideas?

With pre made rigs I find if you attach a small weight to it before taking off the twist wrap then they fall nicely without tangle. Trouble is I always forget to do it 😬

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

With pre made rigs I find if you attach a small weight to it before taking off the twist wrap then they fall nicely without tangle. Trouble is I always forget to do it 😬

I do the twist wraps for anything that goes in the rig wallet, and do it the opposite way by attaching the mainline to the swivel but still get a plate load of spaghetti! Hence the thread 😁

Edited by Malc

3 hours ago, Malc said:

I do the twist wraps for anything that goes in the rig wallet, and do it the opposite way by attaching the mainline to the swivel but still get a plate load of spaghetti! Hence the thread 😁

Yeah, I find 3 hook flappers always manage to do a good impression of 6 hook length flappers! 

new packs of feathers on the card backing are the worst - i attach a small lead to keep it taut, then undo one hook at a time - if someone takes all the hooks off at the same time that's their problem!

i find winders are good for multi hook rigs, and use them on the boat but tend to use a wallet from the shore as you say malc, due to space in the tackle box