Friday 6th Sept - Evening squidding.

mike farrants

knowing the squid were in early and conditions looked perfect i had to get out - i was tempted by Thursday evening but the rain put me off, Friday looked just as good so i went for it.

I know how finicky they can be, requiring high tide at or after dusk, calm winds/sea state for days before, clear water, and preferably clear skies.

As a result it can be a short window if the rest of the season is blown off. so you have to take your chances when you can and boy did it pay off!

at 6pm I got to a new mark I wanted to try and found it too shallow - so headed to the pier with the rest of the UKs squid fisher people.

one pier was closed so the other one was rammed - people were catching from the off, and all around me but not me. boats were also drifting close in to the pier to get in on the action.

I was casting a variety of jigs (cheap amazon ones, Yamashitas and DTDs) and leaving one under a float - but no joy in 2 hours - the pier got busier and busier as the evening moved on and it simple wasn't fun for me getting tangled with others casting over me from a mere arms length away - it was pretty much shoulder to shoulder.

Id had enough and went back to my original mark to find only one other person there and plenty of water. 

First cast at dusk got a take on the DTD under a float but I lost it - never mind, within a few minutes i'm on again on the casting jig from CWeights- and then proceeded to catch squid after squid. i favoured the Cweights jig as it was working - but others were catching on a variety on styles and colours

image.thumb.png.b6902f0f0dee475e8f95c2b587883a86.png

More turned up including a grandad and grandson and a few first timers - great to see them getting in on the action. 

You could see the squid follow the jig and if you slowed down you could watch the 'take' - even if you dropped one close in you could catch it again. 

when I got to 9 I was keen to get my double figures, but it had gone quiet, others had left and it was just me and one other - i didn't want to leave without my 10th - but luckily they came back - and i got another 4 - ending on 13 - and just under 4kg of fresh squid!

image.thumb.png.dbfce745ba2bd422aa7f32f039ad6443.png

brilliant fun and at 10.30pm I called it a night. 

Bait freezer nicely stocked up now - we get mackerel all year round here and the chance to bag up on squid in the autumn - apart from worms i don't spend any money on bait anymore!

happy days!