Query about Plymouth pilot boats

I was idly browsing the classifieds, yes very dangerous, and saw one of the above for sale a 16ft open cuddy 1990 but with an 6hp suzuki outboard engine 2018 only used in freshwater lakes and only 20hrs! Boat is a bit tatty (not viewed just photos) but nothing that TLC wouldn't put right. 

Now the price is definitely right but I know little about these but have done a bit of research and they seem to be well liked. So what should I be looking for if I go for a look and should I go for the little OB or get it without and get a bigger new(er) one?

Many thanks for all relevant information!

Edited by Malc
Additional information

i don't know much about them - but have only heard good things - got to be a good upgrade from the Yak! wont go on the roof of he car though!

i think things to look for would be covered by others more experienced than me - but i do know the transom needs to be solid!

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

...manufacturer recommendation...

The boat would have had an inboard of 8-20hp but I don't know how that equates from inboard to outboard as the inboard would have been 2:1 reduction or doesn't it matter? Is HP just HP no matter what?

53 minutes ago, Malc said:

The boat would have had an inboard of 8-20hp but I don't know how that equates from inboard to outboard as the inboard would have been 2:1 reduction or doesn't it matter? Is HP just HP no matter what?

Not sure tbh. I'd have thought the lightness of an outboard would mean you'd get away with a smaller engine. A 20hp inboard would weigh quite a bit still. Plus drag from shaft etc. 

Me and my dad had, if not a Plymouth Pilot, one based very similar to it. Ours had a 25 on the back which if anything was too much. It would take so much then just lift the bow. Not fast, but gets ya there. Can't comment on sea keeping abilities as no experience of using it on the sea. The guy we bought it from used to trailer it to scotland frequently and use it for muscle fishing and the like. Ours had been converted to outboard and the keel had been filled with concrete which suggests it may be a little bit roly...

Hope that helps

12 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Ours had been converted to outboard and the keel had been filled with concrete which suggests it may be a little bit roly...

I wondered about what the implications of removing 100kg from amidships and putting an outboard beyond the stern, thanks. 

EDIT, it also has "legs" along the underside of the hull so it can be sat on dry land I would expect that would help with stability??

Edited by Malc

On 9/20/2024 at 12:23 PM, Malc said:

Most pilot's came with the option of a Sabb G 8-10Hp about 320lbs in weight ,  or a 2H 18 Hp about 400lbs in weight