Sunday 22nd Sept Weymouth

mike farrants

Met with Tim on his boat at 7.30am and was straight out in the heavy rain to gather bait. 

Mixed results with only 1 mackerel and a couple of scad - however we had a good run of 8 squid and 3 cuttle fish. 

(interestingly one cuttle latched onto one of the squid in the bucket and started munching away - a fresh last supper I guess!)

with little mackerel showing we made our way to our mark just as the rain stopped - the wind dropped right off and the sun came out - like 2 different days out there!

We had a pretty good run of fish to be fair. 

I was using cuttle on the bream rig and Mackerel and scad on the big rig. Tim went with 2 rods for the big stuff!

I had Conger, small Tope, Bream all day, pout, more scad, red gurnard, and dogfish, 

image.png.d29f74a119cf6f23f0047f659c161c5c.png

Tim had a Bass, thornies, tope, dogs and eels. 

image.png.792e8f9671ae8cafe2a783c2324a111f.png

at one point my big bait was very heavy, i though i was puling up a rock until i saw it at the surface - big squid holding onto my mackerel bait, but it let go at the surface - so Tim sent down his squid jigs and landed a monster squid - followed by another smaller one. so now our fish mark is also a squid mark! 

image.png.f055fc83509a8776cc8d90f4be225d76.png

i shared some bream and squid with the neighbours and cooked up some squid rings for myself. the rest went for the bait freezer.

image.png.01572b08a685556e1c224f20b28fa682.png

image.png.c7382f3fa0ca980dc6687bfdfd627999.png

my squid was soaked in milk for an hour, coated in seasoned flour, and fried for as little as i dare.

served with Sriracha Mango (not mange) dip - delicious.

image.png.b6a60a6837016bcbfb2a809b72159d70.png

all in all a cracking day afloat!

Edited by mike farrants