Fowey 20-24/9/24

Dicky

Just spent 5 days down in Cornwall with the boat, me, my bro, dad and uncle. Overall we were lucky with the weather and caught plenty of fish. Day one we got on the water around lunchtime and towing down but sea was rough and couldn’t even get a mile offshore. We still found a few fish, mackerel, bass, pollack, wrasse, pout and even a dog. Second day the swell had eased a little but was still a bit to much for my dad and uncle to be able to stand properly to fight sharks so w spent the day reefing and wrecking. Lots of pollack, 3 bass for my dad, a small ling for my uncle, mackerel, scad, pout, wrasse and I had a big squid. Day 3 was flat so we went out around 10 miles but the sharking was slow with just 2 blues to the boat biggest around 60-70lb. Tried a new wreck but the drift was all wrong and was losing the tide so cam back in to snatch a few more pollack from the reef. Day 4 was great again so we steamed 15 miles out and there was  much more life out there. Dolphins every were and loads of small busts of tuna all around the boat all morning. Sharking was again slow with just 2 more blues but we did have a few others in the slick nosing around the boat. After around 3 hours the live joey screamed off and it was all action as a tuna took off at a rate of knots. We had always agreed to share a tuna if we hooked one but even with a few switches we still had it boatside in under 20 minutes. Not a big fish, in the 100 pound bracket but the first to the boat so we’ll chuffed. My bro then caught a scad so that was released with a circle in its back and 15 minutes later it was fish on again. This was a slightly bigger fish around the 150 lb mark and was a great way to finish the day. Day 5 the wind was picking up and after a couple of issues with the trailer we didn’t fish as I had to do some running repairs on it to get us home. Overall a great trip and will be back down next September 

IMG_1507.jpeg

IMG_1510.jpeg

fe9093df-8b3a-4952-9360-38a483fdd91a.jpeg

5f2e2139-d490-44e2-b051-a25ad2156135.jpeg

37bc6574-50dc-4907-adb9-bfd323e406f5.jpeg

IMG_1530.jpeg

4 hours ago, willyhookit said:

well done    i like fowey as there is  other species to catch if the weather is a bit rough  to get out  was you launching out of mixtow   tight lines Alain 

We launched at the slip next to the Bodinnick ferry 

Hi Dicky

ive launched my 175 from there   the roads are very narrow  and the parking can be a problem ( car &  trailer )    we  rented a  static  caravan  at  mixtow    just above the boat yard    and put the boat on the  pontoon   getting fuel  was a  hike   as we  had to drive   round     could of used the ferry  but  its  /was  £6  each way     just looking at  the pics you posted  is the  blue mackerel   from  ( Bell rock lures )      tight lines  Alain 

On 9/29/2024 at 9:54 PM, Dicky said:

Hi Alan

We had the boat on the pontoon at Penmarlen Quay, bit of a faff every morning with the ferry as we stay on the Fowey side. We did get fuel from the fuel pontoon though.

Yeah that fuel pontoon does petrol and accepts card now which is an absolute game changer for convenience 

• 2 weeks later...

The stainless hardware on that lure looks awful, why not just tie direct. Also looks like braid tied to it, rather than a mono leader. It also looks like the single hook has been put on the split ring the wrong way so that it sits upside-down.

10 hours ago, JDP said:

The stainless hardware on that lure looks awful, why not just tie direct. Also looks like braid tied to it, rather than a mono leader. It also looks like the single hook has been put on the split ring the wrong way so that it sits upside-down.

Well they caught fish Jon so who cares!!