Plymouth Newbie

Hi all, 

I’m mark and new to the boating world. I’ve just bought a warrior 150 and have started to explore some areas within the Plymouth sound.

Does anyone have any help on where I could venture to for a good starting out fishing spot. I’ve had a few mackerel but nothing else.

I feel I’m a little restricted by the boat size but any help and pointers would be great. 

There are some good conger and rays to had uo by devils point. 

Plymouth sound shoujd give you squid and mackerel. 

Better weather head to the Eddystone lighthouse for bass, pollack etc 

Warrior 150 is a nice boat, can do a lot with them 🙂 

@Mark82, welcome to the forum mate. The Warrior is a very capable vessel in the right hands. If you are very new (like first boat new), I'd invest in a couple of courses to get under your belt. Minimum the RYA VHF license and Powerboat level 2. This will give you so much more confidence and knowledge! 
Can't help with the fishing area though I'm afraid! 

Welcome, your boat is very  capable for it's size and in good conditions the Eddystone would be a good starter, as already mentioned. I would also second joining a local club to seek advise from. Have fun. 

20 hours ago, Dicky said:

Welcome, your boat is very  capable for it's size and in good conditions the Eddystone would be a good starter, as already mentioned. I would also second joining a local club to seek advise from. Have fun. 

Is there anywhere specific for the eddy? Thinking of going out early Saturday for mackerel and then going out if the weather is good

3 hours ago, Mark82 said:

Is there anywhere specific for the eddy? Thinking of going out early Saturday for mackerel and then going out if the weather is good

Sorry never fished there myself but keep reading good reports from there so it is on my radar as a place to visit

16 hours ago, Mark82 said:

Have you got Navionics on a sounder or a tablet? If not it’s really worth investing in. I’ve used a basic garmin sounder coupled with Navionics on my iPad and with relief shading you will be able to see the reefs, drop offs sandbanks and anything else on the seabed like wrecks etc. Drifting over some of those features around that area should certainly see you catch something other than mackerel with any luck 👍👍 oh and welcome 😊

5 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

Have you got Navionics on a sounder or a tablet? If not it’s really worth investing in. I’ve used a basic garmin sounder coupled with Navionics on my iPad and with relief shading you will be able to see the reefs, drop offs sandbanks and anything else on the seabed like wrecks etc. Drifting over some of those features around that area should certainly see you catch something other than mackerel with any luck 👍👍 oh and welcome 😊

Hi,

Ive just signed into navionics and got it on the iPad. Looks immense. 

I’ve also pinned down the local fishing marks left by others 

the wrecks are so clear so that’s a good starting point for me. 

when drifting, do you drop the weight and lure down to bed, real up a little and then drift over on a long trace?

You can try that, drop down, wind up slowly for a good few turns then drop down and try again. A pretty reliable way to go would be to use a set of feathers with a decent sized metal jig or just a jig on its own and drop down, hit bottom and wind up a few turns and just jig it up and down. Experiment with different weights of leads and jigs so that your line isn’t streaming off at a sharp angle and you should be doing alright 👍 hopefully you’ll get some nice pollack or something else half decent 🤞

5 hours ago, Mark82 said:

Hi,

Ive just signed into navionics and got it on the iPad. Looks immense. 

I’ve also pinned down the local fishing marks left by others 

the wrecks are so clear so that’s a good starting point for me. 

when drifting, do you drop the weight and lure down to bed, real up a little and then drift over on a long trace?

Youtube has many jigging style videos, check out slow jigging which is a more productive way to fish in my opinion. Also soft plastic lures that gives a good action at low speed will often catch fish by simply leaving in a rod holder to allow the rocking of the boat to create the action for the lure.

I can't speak for the Warrior 15 but I use a slightly smaller boat in very poor sea conditions and have great confidence in the boat, however Ive owned boats almost 50yrs now. 

Now that you have decent charts to show sea floor in good detail just make sure you are careful in regards to anchoring over rough ground or wrecks as a stuck anchor can be dangerous depending how you try to get it unstuck from a small boat. 

Seriously thanks all.

I’ll try it all out and add a extra later of caution. Looking forward to reporting back after my first real venture this weekend.

Weather looks good on Saturday so at a 5am wake up to get under way at 6am is planned. Catch those early mackerel and decide where to venture thereafter 

🫡

Edited by Mark82

1 hour ago, Mark82 said:

Seriously thanks all.

I’ll try it all out and add a extra later of caution. Looking forward to reporting back after my first real venture this weekend.

Weather looks good on Saturday so at a 5am wake up to get under way at 6am is planned. Catch those early mackerel and decide where to venture thereafter 

🫡

We look forward to a positive catch report. However, this time of year with moisture and temps fog can be about. So if it's foggy when you get up or go to launch, pack up and go home!!