Come on then... who's out at the weekend?

1 hour ago, jonnyswamp said:

Not me or any of my club this weekend, another trip cancelled out of Dale this Saturday......poxy wind

I don't really mind as I have a party this Friday and a wedding on Saturday so wasn't going anyway

A few of the lads in the club are off to Norway on Monday, I think for 10 days

I shall post some of their pics when I get sent them

How did the operation go? 

(you did have another op right?)

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

How did the operation go? 

(you did have another op right?)

Yes I did a couple of weeks ago

The finger is still attached to my hand and hasn't gone black, so that's a plus at the moment

But it's numb, as is most of my little finger next to it

Skin graft is ok according to the doctor I saw yesterday (looks a bit shit to me) so just a matter of waiting for it to heal properly

I don't think I did myself any favours going fishing and getting the dressing wet/covered in fish baits the week after it was done TBH

2 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Yes I did a couple of weeks ago

The finger is still attached to my hand and hasn't gone black, so that's a plus at the moment

But it's numb, as is most of my little finger next to it

Skin graft is ok according to the doctor I saw yesterday (looks a bit shit to me) so just a matter of waiting for it to heal properly

I don't think I did myself any favours going fishing and getting the dressing wet/covered in fish baits the week after it was done TBH

You know the site rules Nick...... no pics, it never happened!!

25 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

2022-08-18_08-00-23

For the avoidance of doubt I gave you a like for posting the pic, not a like for the discomfort you must be in! Hope you have a smooth recovery and they don't end up chopping another one off... 😶

Ouch! Hope it's a quick and good recovery for you. 

I don't know why photos like that make me feel a bit funny, I've seen loads of dead bodies and smashed up body parts (ex firefighter) but these pics give me the ick. 

Camping this weekend. Then maybe out reefing Tuesday. 

Time to fill the freezer ready for chum for next season and to finish off this season 🙂 

Susoect I maybe crewing more than fishing over next few months but I’ll try and squeeze a few sessions in 🙂 

1 hour ago, JDP said:

How are you going in regards to free-diving Andy ? 

Really enjoying it but having trouble staying down/being too buoyant. Might need to add some more weight to my dive belt. Also struggle with equalizing in one of my ears, which makes deeper diving painful. Any tips?

14 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Really enjoying it but having trouble staying down/being too buoyant. Might need to add some more weight to my dive belt. Also struggle with equalizing in one of my ears, which makes deeper diving painful. Any tips?

Stick to one thing and perfect it? 

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Eat less pies 🤣🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Andy135 said:

There are lots of small airways, not just the nasal passage, clearing these will greatly help with equalising. A steam bath (bowl with towel over your head) will help clear those. Equalise lots and before you start feeling any pain or pinch, even if you are doing every half metre until you get to know how pressure effects you. 

Decend very slow without taking big breaths. The big breath is simply like having a balloon in your lungs which will obviously make you more buoyant and less relaxed. There are numerous dive weight formulas online which go off your weight and the thickness of you wetsuit. At the surface to 2-3m Im quite buoyant but weighted to sink after those depths. If I was only targeting species in the shallows I could simply add a little more weight.

The main thing is to do everything slow and relaxed and don't try pushing anything that feels uncomfortable. Only time in the water will increase you time under it. Ive just started working with a group of youngsters free diving who imagined they would all be awesome gun free divers, which they've suddenly realised they aren't yet. Its great diving with them as they are taking so much onboard and getting better with each dive now that they aren't pushing themselves.

Im very out of shape from how I used to be and compared to my daughter, which is simply because I used to spend most of my time in the boat as I couldn't keep up with her. This guy posts some very good videos on free diving with plenty of things that will help you out, he also dives over 100m on breath hold. There are also free dive courses in the UK which should help you.

Edited by JDP

On 8/24/2022 at 9:25 AM, Andy135 said:

I'm back in Cornwall this weekend and hoping to find a new rock mark or two to try with the shore jigs.

Well, I got out for an early morning session back in Fowey on Saturday but only managed three micro-pollack on the slow jig. You all know what a small pollack looks like so no pics or a full report, but suffice to say it was an underwhelming outing this time sadly.

• 2 weeks later...