Come on then... who's out at the weekend?

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Good to have a successful day, especially after the couple of setbacks that you have had this year so far. 

Was nice to get out again for sure…. Hopefully the setbacks are behind me… until Plan B comes into action…

Hoping to get out on the morning high water, do a spot of fishing and then drop anchor to watch Teignmouth airshow on saturday from the water. Going to be a bit windy for us but we hope to sit in the lee of the cliffs.

Riverside boatyard are renewing the pontoon (its been lifted out) so launching and delivering the car driver will be extra comedy and double stacked on the slip - a slip we have trouble hitting as the boat loves spinning around in the wind.

Will be a long day for us as well, 9-10hrs, might have to think about how much fuel we need as we still have no clear idea of consumption - previous trips of a few hrs have cost all of £15 each time - but thats about 10L of E5 and we only have a 25L tank. Think we might need to invest in a reserve tank.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2024 at 2:06 PM, LostPiker said:

Finally the stars of work schedules, weather and the boat not being broken have aligned and I should be out Sunday

Got out, boat actually worked for once. Sadly my brain didn't and while drifting by the needles got snagged rod bent over double and the drag was too high and snapped the tip off.

2 drifts later, did exactly the same with my other rod except this one snapped by the handle. 

Luckily I had 4 rods so could carry on. Wasn't very productive, really need to learn how to find spots and anchoring them to find the fish. Caught a few nice mackerel and bream push a few small doggies

Also the trailer winch cable snapped as the trailer was pulled up the slipway so we had an involuntary re-launch and had to Mcgyver the boat back on using rope and a ratchet strap

20 hours ago, LostPiker said:

Got out, boat actually worked for once. Sadly my brain didn't and while drifting by the needles got snagged rod bent over double and the drag was too high and snapped the tip off.

2 drifts later, did exactly the same with my other rod except this one snapped by the handle. 

Luckily I had 4 rods so could carry on. Wasn't very productive, really need to learn how to find spots and anchoring them to find the fish. Caught a few nice mackerel and bream push a few small doggies

Also the trailer winch cable snapped as the trailer was pulled up the slipway so we had an involuntary re-launch and had to Mcgyver the boat back on using rope and a ratchet strap

Christ, haven't smashed a mirror have you ?

Was booked for a Skerries trip tomorrow on "Spot on" out of Brixham, but crap weather etc decided otherwise

Just read a report from a guy who was on the Skerries today and he had 10 Plaice with only 2 keepers, 12 various Rays to 13lb, Gurnard, mackerel and a Spide crab

I'll maybe leave it a few more weeks so they can fatten up a bit

May try and get out on my own boat Sunday 🤞

50 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Westher looking good for weekend 🙂 hopefully it holds for us all 

It will. I'm in France for the next 2 weekends so light winds and sunshine. I will be back Thursday 8th and no doubt will blow a fucking gale 

2 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

Was booked for a Skerries trip tomorrow on "Spot on" out of Brixham, but crap weather etc decided otherwise

Just read a report from a guy who was on the Skerries today and he had 10 Plaice with only 2 keepers, 12 various Rays to 13lb, Gurnard, mackerel and a Spide crab

I'll maybe leave it a few more weeks so they can fatten up a bit

May try and get out on my own boat Sunday 🤞

If the weather holds, I will be going there on Sunday.

Usually the keepers vs returns works out at about 70 /30 for us, but we don't keep anything under 35cm

Those that use worm and small baits tend to get the smaller fish, we use large cocktail fish baits

Edited by GPSguru

9 hours ago, Dicky said:

It will. I'm in France for the next 2 weekends so light winds and sunshine. I will be back Thursday 8th and no doubt will blow a fucking gale 

Same here, I'm away til 2nd August when UK hurricane season will no doubt start! 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Isn't that always the way!

Yeah, I planned to be out this morning but I'll be making sandcastles on the beach with my granddaughter instead! Swings and roundabouts